New Job Human Rights Officer In Northwest Territories
|Human Rights Officer|
Human Rights Officer
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $104,000–$125,000 a year
Location : Northwest Territories
The NWT Human Rights Commission is an independent agency established by the Legislative Assembly that works to promote human rights and protect individuals and groups from discrimination under the NWT Human Rights Act. The Act creates a human rights system that is independent from the territorial government. The Act also provides a resolution process which allows people to resolve human rights issues. The human rights system in the Northwest Territories is committed to using a restorative approach and is guided by the principles of flexibility, inclusion, remediation and participatory solutions to issues. This means we work with people to help them create solutions that work for them. The NWT Human Rights Commission accepts complaints of discrimination and harassment based on the areas and grounds listed in the Act. The Commission is responsible for the early complaint process up to the point when complaints are either dismissed or referred for hearings by the Adjudication Panel.
This position is located in Yellowknife but serves the population of the entire NWT. Reporting to the Director of Human Rights, the Human Rights Officer (Officer) analyzes, investigates, and facilitates resolution of complaints received from the general public of the NWT pursuant to the Human Rights Act (the 'Act'). The Officer acts independently in interpreting and applying the Act, legal precedent and appropriate policy to specific situations and in making recommendations to the Director on the disposition of complaints.
The Officer promotes compliance with the Act, and promotes equality and human rights in the Nor1hwest Territories by providing technical information to the public, developing publications on rights and responsibilities under the Act, and developing and delivering programs of education and promotion.
The Officer's work contributes directly to the protection of the fundamental human right to equality in the NWT. The Officer's investigative and complaint resolution functions impact directly on the effective administration of the NWT Human Rights Act. Improper handling of complaints could lead to appeals, judicial reviews and to a loss of public trust in the complaint process.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Advanced writing skills and the ability to translate technical and legal information into plain language.
- Specialized knowledge of domestic human rights principles, theory, and legislation.
- Proven ability to deliver presentations to large and small groups and manage group dynamics.
- Proven mediation skills including dealing with angry, highly emotional individuals.
- Proven analytical skills required to interpret and apply legislation to specific situations.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively, clearly and concisely orally and in writing and in a cross-cultural setting.
- Proven client-service orientation.
- Proven organizational and project management skills, and ability to manage competing priorities and projects.
- Advanced research skills and the ability to research a variety of legal and academic sources for specific human rights issues and case precedents.
- Ability to maintain neutrality and confidentiality.
- Understanding and experience with the use of web-based communications and a proficiency in using computers and word processing, database, internet and e-mail applications.
This position is typically attained by:
A degree in a related academic discipline (law, communications, social sciences, humanities, development studies) and a minimum of three (3) years' experience in progressively interpreting and applying legislation, mediation, and developing and delivering education or communication programs.
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
YELLOWKNIFE CENTRE 5TH FLOOR
BOX 1320 YELLOWKNIFE NT X1A 2L9
Tel (867) 767-9154 Extension 14106
Fax (867) 873-0445
Note: If you do not receive electronic notification confirming receipt of your application, please follow up via telephone.