New Job General Chemistry Technical Officer In Prince Edward Island
|General Chemistry Technical Officer|
General Chemistry Technical Officer
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $49,298–$69,364 a year
Location : Prince Edward Island
Help bring research to life and drive your career forward with the National Research Council of Canada (NRC), Canada’s largest research and technology organization.
We are looking for a Technical Officer with experience in extraction and fractionation technologies to support our Aquatic and Crop Resource Development Research Centre in Charlottetown, PEI. This Technical Officer would be someone who shares our core values of Integrity, Excellence, Respect and Creativity.
Responsibilities will include the extraction and separation of bioactive ingredients, preparation of samples for analysis, and the operation and general maintenance of laboratory equipment. In addition, the TO will:
- Participate in new research initiatives in response to NRC and client R&D needs as they arise and as tasks are assigned by a Team Lead.
- Collect and analyse data, compose draft reports, protocols and standard operating procedures, and contribute to the preparation of research publications and client reports.
- Contribute to ACRD’s multidisciplinary research environment by supporting research efforts of NRC colleagues and providing guidance and technical expertise as required.
We perform advanced scientific research and provide research services and technology development for the sustainable transformation of Canadian bio-based resources into higher-value products.
We collaborate with industry, academia and government partners to develop and transform agricultural and marine bioresources into food, feed and ingredients, and other high value bioproducts.
The services we offer include:
- Collaborative research opportunities
- Access to expert researchers and technicians
- Scientific advice and technical services
- Projects tailored to client needs using our specialized facilities
- Research and development support
Our goal is to help strengthen the economy by growing global markets for Canadian industry.
The essence of Charlottetown is the quality of life it offers its citizens. Situated on the beautiful Charlottetown Harbour with boardwalks that stretch almost the entire southern exposure of the city. A clean and safe family community which also happens to be the centre of activity, amenities, shopping and entertainment, all at a very low cost of living. There are beaches, golf courses and walking trails all around the Island and a rich landscape for nature lovers to enjoy.
Applicants must demonstrate within the content of their application that they meet the following screening criteria in order to be given further consideration as candidates:
- This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, biochemistry or related discipline.
- The equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered.
For information on certificates and diplomas issued abroad, please see Degree equivalency
- Experience in processing, extraction and fractionation of terrestrial, marine and fermentation-based materials
- Experience summarizing, evaluating and reporting data
- Ability to support routine lab equipment maintenance, follow standard operating protocols, order lab suppliers, maintain inventories, and the safe handling of chemicals.
- Experience using liquid and gas chromatography (HPLC and GC) applied to natural products.
- Experience with mass spectrometry is an asset
- Experience with downstream processing is an asset
Condition of Employment
Information on language requirements and self-assessment tests
Candidates will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
- Ability to perform experiments for the extraction, separation and characterization of complex mixtures and assist in the design of the experiments
- Ability to operate multiple analytical systems including HPLC and GC
- Ability to recognize experimental or technical issues, perform basic troubleshooting and make relevant recommendations
- Knowledge of good laboratory practices and scientific record keeping, and ability to perform routine data analysis and summarize findings for reports, scientific posters and publications.
- Ability to perform routine equipment maintenance, schedule service visits, follow standard operating protocols, order lab supplies, maintain inventories, track consumables and equipment usage, safely handle and dispose of chemicals, and help identify potential safety hazards and implement corrective measures.
- Research Technician/Technologist - Communication (Level 2)
- Research Technician/Technologist - Creative thinking (Level 2)
- Research Technician/Technologist - Results orientation (Level 1)
- Research Technician/Technologist - Teamwork (Level 1)
- Research Technician/Technologist - Initiative (Level 1)
For this position, the NRC will evaluate candidates using the following competency profile(s): Research Technician/Technologist
Relocation assistance will be determined in accordance with the NRC's directives.
From $49,298 to $69,364 per annum.
NRC employees enjoy a wide-range of competitive benefits including comprehensive health and dental plans, pension and insurance plans, vacation and other leave entitlements.
- A pre-qualified list may be established for similar positions for a one-year period.
- NRC employees enjoy a wide-range of benefits including comprehensive health and dental plans, pension and insurance plans, vacation and other leave entitlements.
- Preference will be given to Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents of Canada, persons with an open work permit and indigenous peoples living in the United States. Please include citizenship information in your application.
- Basic knowledge of occupational health and safety best practices required to create and maintain a safe and healthy work environment. The incumbent must adhere to safe workplace practices at all times.
Please direct your questions, with the requisition number (19190) to:
E-mail: [email protected]
Closing Date: 8 May 2023 - 23:59 Eastern Time OR Posted until filled