New Job Control Centre Supervisor In Ontario
|Control Centre Supervisor|
Control Centre Supervisor
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $72,758–$87,344 a year
Location : Ontario
Permanent Full-Time Non-Union
Open to all current Town of Oakville employees and external applicants
Applications for this position must be received at oakville.ca by no later than 11:59 pm on April 29, 2023.
- A defined benefit pension plan (OMERS)
- Comprehensive health plan complemented with life and disability insurance
- A progressive work environment that promotes a work/life balance and strives to be a great place for great people to do great things
Reporting to the Manager of Transit Operations this position is responsible for supervising the dispatch and delivery of all fixed route conventional, specialized, demand responsive and charter services. This first line supervisory position will manage the day to day on-time performance of our service remotely from the transit control centre. This will involve ongoing communication with and direction to driving staff. The Transit Operations Clerks and Vehicle Dispatch Clerk will report directly to the Control Centre Supervisor. The Control Centre Supervisor will leverage the Oakville Transit Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) and the GO Transit Train Tracker technology to optimize on-time service performance and connectivity. This position will also utilize the various on-street surveillance cameras along with the transit facility surveillance camera system to maximize the safety and security of employees, customers and assets.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As the Control Centre Supervisor you will:
manage the dispatching of all service from the transit facility. Adjusting driver schedules, including shift start and finish times as appropriate given the needs of the business and as provided for in the Collective Agreement. Authorizing and approving overtime as required to address service and business needs. Liaises with Maintenance staff for vehicle issues including coordination of change offs, road calls, dispatch requirements and sign-ins;
manage the delivery of fixed route and demand response service remotely from the control centre. Supervising Drivers in the performance of their duties with focus on schedule adherence and on-time performance to ensure work is performed effectively and efficiently and in accordance with town or departmental standards, levels of service, specifications, policies, procedures and legislated requirements;
make adjustments to service to compensate for delays caused by breakdowns, accidents, incidents, diversions, weather and congestion. Monitor GO train arrival/departure at stations, optimizing connectivity;
maximize use of highly technical resources to manage service and provide remote supervision; making real-time adjustments to service in response to a multitude of environmental factors negatively impacting service;
utilize the Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) to coordinate all standard, priority and emergency communications; initiating appropriate response including Emergency Services as required. Assist Transit Service Supervisors with investigation and follow up on inquires, accidents, complaints and other incidents from the general public, residents, emergency services, other departments, senior management and members of council;
provide input into the annual and ad hoc performance evaluations of driving and clerical staff while making recommendations to senior management regarding driving and clerical staff training needs and suitability for promotion. Evaluating performance of seasonal driving staff and making effective recommendations regarding permanent hiring;
create and maintain vehicle dispatch sheet for current day service and next day service. Track, report, record and document all information regarding exceptions to driver assignments including hours worked, sick time, time off, and overtime as per the Collective Agreement for uploading into the drivers’ payroll system and perform other general office duties;
evaluate and provide direction to ensure programs and technologies meet statutory requirements. Monitor specialized transit service making off hours adjustments to schedules; approving same day booking changes and ride requests.
Work various rotating shifts, including days, evenings and nights, covering a seven-day a week operation.
How do I qualify?
- College diploma coupled with related transit experience.
- Formal education is augmented by progressively responsible experience working in a transit operations environment including scheduling, service adjustment methods and emergency operating procedures.
- Highly developed understanding of transit regulations, town policies and procedures, collective agreement provisions and other relevant guidelines and processes that apply to Transit services.
- Familiar with the practical application of technology in a public transit environment and have outstanding service delivery, leadership and supervisory abilities.
- Have (or are capable of successfully obtaining) a valid and unrestricted CZ Ontario Drivers Licence with a driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behavior.
- Must also be capable of obtaining an Occupational Health and Safety certification Level 1.
- A satisfactory criminal record check and vulnerable sector screening check dated within the last 30 days is a condition of employment for this position.
In addition, your experience includes:
- meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers;
- writing clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles getting messages across that have the desired effect;
- scoping out length and difficulty of tasks and projects; setting objectives and goals and establishing targets for quality and productivity;
- exercising sound judgment and evidence based decision making in demanding or stressful situations, responding decisively and quickly to emerging opportunities or risks; being cognizant of decisions that may be politically sensitive;
- providing individuals with timely information so that they can make accurate decisions;
- demonstrating values and ethics in personal behavior in keeping with corporate values; is widely trusted; keeping confidences, admitting mistakes and representing self truthfully;
- identifying solutions, alternatives and consequences based upon the evaluation of relevant facts, issues and risks;
- assigning responsibility for tasks and decisions; setting clear objectives, measuring processes necessary to get things done; monitoring process, progress and results, designing feedback loops into work; ensuring work complies with formal procedures and regulation
- promoting collaboration among staff; encouraging and incorporating creativity and learning; providing effective forums for staff to express ideas, views, and concerns individually and as a team;
- effectively motivating and directing the work of individuals and teams;
- consulting, soliciting and listening to ideas and concerns from colleagues, customers/residents, users, staff and stakeholders;
- planning and adjusting work based on a thorough understanding of requirements and priorities and seeking clarification and direction as appropriate; setting priorities and making the most of time available;
- dealing proactively with interpersonal or personal matters that could affect own performance;
- dealing firmly and effectively in a timely manner with staffing issues; not allowing problems to fester and making difficult decisions in the best interest in the organization;
- demonstrating an understanding of team member roles and responsibilities, and balancing own needs with those of the team or organization;
- using government assets and resources appropriately and responsibly by understanding and applying related policies and procedures;
- making well-thought-out recommendations to management;
- developing effective networks by seeking out opportunities for collaboration and strategic alliances.
Your experience should also demonstrate the following Supervisor leadership competencies:
- Strategic Thinking – innovating through analysis and ideas
- Engagement – mobilizing people, organizations, partners
- Management excellence – delivering results through action management, people management and financial and asset management
- Accountability and Respect – serving with integrity and respect
Click Competency Profile to view the competencies for this Supervisor level.
Teamwork, accountability, dedication, honesty, innovation and respect
DATED: April 19, 2023
This job profile reflects the general requirements necessary to perform the principal functions of the job. This does not include all of the work requirements of the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate through their application and in the interview process that their qualifications match those specified. Applicants may also be required to undergo testing.