New Job Clerk, Recycling & Sanitation In British Columbia
|Clerk, Recycling & Sanitation|
Clerk, Recycling & Sanitation
Company : City of Richmond BC
Salary : $30.09–$35.36 an hour
Location : British Columbia
Clerk, Recycling & Sanitation
The City of Richmond is committed to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset – our people. This is a great opportunity to join our team and shape our community. The City of Richmond offers competitive pay programs, comprehensive benefits and attractive incentives. If you are looking to make a difference, and to share our vision “to be the most appealing, livable, and well-managed community in Canada”, then please apply.
This position is an integral member of the Environmental Programs team as the first-point of contact to customers and the public. The position provides clerical and computerized support services relating to environmental, waste management and recycling services.
Examples of key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Responds to questions, concerns and service requests from the public via phone and in-person.
- Responsible for the tracking, recording and preparation of reports relating to information pertaining to all calls, inquiries, and complaints, including the follow-up and actions required to resolve issues in a timely manner and in such a way to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Dispatches and coordinates collection crews, including liaising with contracted management staff in response to actions to resolve complaints.
- Undertakes timesheet data entry and prepare associated reports.
- Provides administrative support, problem analysis, and excellent customer service to internal and external customers, including creating service requests for all work requests and inquiries.
- Responsible for evaluating and determining appropriate courses of action in accordance with specified contracts, agreements and bylaws issues in relation to garbage and recycling issues.
- Assists with implementation of various waste and recycling initiatives.
- Administrative and program support for the department including budget checking, reviewing, checking and processing invoices for payment, ordering supplies, collection and tracking of statistical data, website and automated voice response system updates.
- Reviews and verifies charges relating to waste disposal and various Recycling Depot invoices; records and reports information.
- Undertakes inventory coordination of disposal vouchers and garbage tags, and prepares and balances revenue reconciliations.
- Prepares, edits, manipulates and extracts data from electronic spreadsheets, prepares data summaries, enters data into various systems, identifies weaknesses in available information and problem solves accordingly. Makes recommendations for improvements.
- Participates in the development of community outreach materials, coordinate and conduct community outreach presentations (information displays, Recycling Depot tours, strata meetings, etc.)
- Performing other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of Metro Vancouver’s Integrated Solid Waste and Resource Management Plan, including disposal bans.
- Knowledge of the various provincial stewardship programs and their applicability in Richmond.
- Sound knowledge of the City of Richmond’s various bylaws pertaining to the work including Solid Waste and Recycling Bylaw 6803, Donation Bin Regulation Bylaw 9502, Single Use Plastic and Other Items Bylaw 10000, Demolition Waste and Recyclable Materials Bylaw 9516 and related garbage and recycling programs/services.
- Knowledgeable of regional, provincial and federal policies relating to circular economy and single-use initiatives.
- Ability to interpret and convey a sound knowledge of procedures, rules, regulations and City Bylaws regulating departmental activities to the public.
- Ability to deal tactfully with the public, in person, by telephone and electronically, in a courteous, professional and effective manner.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously; work well under pressure; deal with stressful situations with professionalism.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including spelling, and grammatical ability.
- Skill in entering and manipulating data in spreadsheets and other City systems.
- Skill in preparing audience-based presentations and ability to assist in the design of workshop and communications materials.
- Strong attention to detail with an aptitude for proofreading, suggesting alternatives and making modifications.
- Ability to review, interpret and analyze data, prepare reports and make recommendations to streamline management of data.
- Ability to work cooperatively and amicably in a team environment.
- Ability to exercise independence of judgement and action in determining appropriate action required to resolve complaints and inquires relation to program operations.
- Knowledge and experience working with various office software including Microsoft Office, PeopleSoft, SharePoint, REDMS, Tempest and IPS.
- Ability to successfully clear a Police Information Check.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent, supplemented by one (1) year of related work experience in office administration and customer service.
- A Valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence for the Province of British Columbia
- Experience involving public contact in the municipal solid waste and recycling field in a municipal environment is preferred. An equivalent combination of related education and work experience may be considered.