New Job Business Analyst In Alberta
Company : Government of Alberta
Salary : $5,433–$7,102 a month
Location : Alberta
Job Requisition ID: 29987
Full or Part-Time: Full Time
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Scope: Open Competition
Closing Date: April 28, 2023
Classification: Program Services 4 Market Adjustment
The Government of Alberta is committed to a diverse and inclusive public service that reflects the population we serve to best meet the needs of Albertans. Consider joining a team where diversity, inclusion and innovation are valued and supported.
We believe in building careers and providing opportunities to develop within the organization. We also provide our staff with a work-life balance including reasonable hours of work and support for wellness at work with a series of activities over the lunch break and after office hours. In short, we provide staff with the tools and support they need to excel. Working together we will promote the Alberta Public Service Values of Respect, Integrity, Accountability and Excellence.
The Alternate Capital Financing Coordination team at the Ministry of Infrastructure is looking for a Business Analyst to support Alberta's utilization of diverse alternative capital financing strategies to deliver infrastructure projects, through the effective assessment and development of creative financing and funding options and monitoring of related approved projects.
The Business Analyst will analyze the economic, policy, fiscal and financial components of unsolicited proposals and develop recommendations. An ideal candidate for this role will work independently and analyze varied and complex information and financial data and translate it into understandable terms to effectively inform operational recommendations and provide high-quality subject matter input on projects.
To be successful in this position, you will demonstrate:
- Awareness of industry issues and developments;
- Strong analysis, reasoning, judgment, and problem-solving skills;
- Advanced interpretative, evaluative, and developmental thinking; and
- A highly collaborative approach and strong communication skills.
University graduation in Business Administration or Economics with 4 years progressively responsible related experience; or equivalent as described below.
Directly related education or experience considered on the basis of:
- 1 year of education for 1 year of experience; or
- 1 year of experience for 1 year of education.
- Experience in analyzing technical and financial reports.
- Experience communicating technical concepts to non-experts.
- Knowledge in policy analysis and development.
- Experience in project finance is desired.
- Industry experience combined with a financial, fiscal and legal understanding of the infrastructure industry considered an asset.
Competencies are behaviors that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process. This link will assist you with understanding competencies:
- Agility - Works creatively within existing policies and processes to proactively meet goals; anticipates obstacles to change and thinks ahead about next steps; supports others to identify, assess and use alternative approaches; prepares to mitigate reactions and maintain productivity and composure in conflicts or challenging situations.
- Drive for Results - Skilled in project management and cost control techniques, including value management and ability to achieve results under specified timelines.
- Develop Self and Others - Shares learning experiences with others and works with team to create a plan on how learning can be applied more broadly within the group.
- Build Collaborative Environments - Works with others to identify areas for collaboration.
- Develop Networks - Actively engages stakeholders early and throughout projects; considers how changes will impacts colleagues, clients, and other stakeholders; seeks multiple inputs when developing recommendations or strategies that lead to change in functions or processes; builds trust by being open to different perspectives while looking for mutually beneficial outcomes.
- Systems Thinking - Considers multiple inter-relationships; anticipates outcomes and potential impacts of different paths; considers longer-term opportunities and risks prior to presenting recommendations and various content documents.
- Creative Problem Solving - Engages different perspectives in seeking out root causes and identifying solutions; seeks ways to improve processes and functions to better meet business goals; critically analyzes options and issues.
$2,716.64 to $3,550.90 bi-weekly ($70,904 - $92,678/year)
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week, Monday to Friday
What We Offer:
- Working for the Alberta Public Service –
- Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP) –
- Leadership and mentorship programs
- Professional learning and development
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
- Opportunity to participate in flexible work arrangements such as working from home up to two days per week and modified work schedule agreements
- Research Alberta Public Service Careers tool –
How To Apply
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system,
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
Resources for applicants:
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the role profile, and/or require a disability related accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact Gloria Ducharme at [email protected].
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check