|Summer Student (Environmental Science or Engineering) (Halifax)|
Summer Student (Environmental Science or Engineering) (Halifax)
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $17.25–$28.12 an hour
Location : Nova Scotia
Department: Public Works
Type of Employment: Student
Union Status: Exclusion - Non Union - NSPG
Closing Date: 3/16/2023 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
Building and maintaining our provincial infrastructure is no small job. We’re recruiting for a summer Environmental Science or Environmental Engineering student to help our province achieve big things!
At the Department of Public Works, we manage 23,000 kilometers of roads and highways and 4,100 bridges across Nova Scotia. Environmental Services provides environmental advice within the department and to other government departments to promote compliance with environmental regulations and industry preferred practices.
About Our Opportunity
As a Student, you will gain practical experience and receive training and mentorship from highly qualified engineering and environmental science professionals. This is the perfect opportunity to jump start your career, gain an understanding of the environmental considerations associated with bridge and highway construction and facility operations and watch your contributions come to life as you make exciting impacts to the Province’s infrastructure.
We offer opportunities to participate in training courses for Standard First Aid, along with other safety courses. We will provide you with all the required technical and protective equipment you need, and as a bonus, you get to keep the boots we provide you when your summer work ends.
You will assist Environmental Services engineers and environmental scientists in a wide range of duties and have the opportunity to:
- Complete project estimates and contract administration for various projects;
- Provide oversight for contracted work while ensuring quality, safety, and environmental standards are met and in accordance with Department standards, Acts and Regulations;
- Assist in reviewing reports, project management and database maintenance;
- Assist in updating operating procedures, conducting field surveys and site inspections; and
- Participate in and collaborate with various staff on special projects which will further enhance and develop your skills.
Qualifications and Experience
You are a Bachelor of Science or Environmental Engineer student and returning to school in the fall (or in the next applicable semester for the education program). Enrollment in environmental science related disciplines will be considered an asset.
Occasional travel may be required, as such, you must have a valid driver license.
As the ideal candidate you demonstrate a keen interest in environmental management aspects of highway and bridge construction, maintenance activities and site investigations.
You must also be:
- Proficient in mathematics and natural sciences;
- Familiar with computer software packages used in an engineering environment;
- Organized and able to prioritize your work; and
- An excellent communicator who provides professional customer service.
The following are considered assets including:
- Familiarity with construction sites, as well as environmental considerations for bridge and highway construction design standards;
- Familiarity with regulated materials and environmental site assessments;
- Familiarity with contract specifications;
- Exposure to heavy equipment; and
- Training in First Aid.
We will assess the above qualifications and competencies using one or more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks.
Your work will be office based, and may include work outdoors in various weather conditions, with potential travel throughout the Province.
The successful candidate(s) will need to submit a copy of their driver’s abstract.
There is one (1) position available in Halifax.
This opportunity will start approximately May 1, 2023 with an end date of September 1, 2023.
Pay Grade: HOURLY
Salary Range: $17.25 - $28.12 Hourly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
Current government employees may access this posting through the link below:
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to [email protected]