|Regional Itinerant Educational Assistant Annapolis/Kings 5.50 Term|
Regional Itinerant Educational Assistant Annapolis/Kings 5.50 Term
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Nova Scotia
Regional Itinerant Educational Assistant - Annapolis/Kings 5.50 Term
Annapolis Valley Regional Centre for Education
Vacant Educational Assistant - 5.50 Hours per day
Closing date for applications - March 14, 2023 Midnight
Terms and conditions of employment, including wages, are in accordance with the Nova Scotia Government and General Employees Union (NSGEU) Local 73 Bargaining Unit.
The Regional Itinerant Educational Assistant, under the direction of the Coordinator of Student Services, works with the regional behaviour and autism teams and will be assigned to work in any of the schools (P-12) within the Annapolis/Kings Region for varying periods of time as needed. The EA is responsible for collaborating with school teams to provide additional support working with students with complex needs and challenging behaviours.
The position is 5.50 hours; start and end times will vary based on the school day. Additional time may be required depending on student needs.
Qualifications and Abilities:
- Human Services diploma or equivalent post-secondary training and experience in a related human services discipline. Confirmation of your educational qualifications must be included with your application.
- Requires flexibility in hours of work and location.
- Skills and application of knowledge of Autism Spectrum Disorders and extreme behavour challenges.
- High flexibility and openness to change, reliability and ability to take direction
- Excellent negotiation and mediation skills; excellent problem-solving skills along with patience and calm demeanor
- Ability to be sensitive to the needs of students with exceptionalities
- Ability to recognize individual learning styles and the characteristics of learners
- High level of attention to confidentiality
- Collaborative and able to work as part of a team, under the direction of the teacher and Student Services Team
- Ability to communicate effectively, relate to people tactfully, professionally, and skilled at building strong authentic relationships in short periods of time
- Familiarity with augmentative communication and assistive technology.
- Ability to implement a visual schedule.
- Ability and experience with record keeping and data collection
- Bona fide occupational requirements as identified.
- Specific health-care support training or certification as required.
- Ability to perform physical requirements of the position, including ability to run and respond with quick movements)
- Current CPR and First Aid training.
- Must have NVCI or be willing to take NVCI and other related courses
- Must have a valid N.S. Driver’s License and access to a car.
1. Safety/Behaviour Management Support:
Under the direction of the teacher(s) and/or the program planning team, the Educational Assistant will support the implementation of identified behavior management outcomes. When a student is unable to self-regulate their behavior, the Educational Assistant is able to perform these tasks:
- Use appropriate verbal de-escalation and physical interventions in accordance with the Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Training Program, the student’s plan, and Regional Centre policies.
- Co-regulation with a student to model the skills of regulation.
- Encourage students to respect code of conduct guidelines .
- Model and encourage respect for self and others.
- Employ and model appropriate strategies that are outlined in the Behaviour Intervention Plan and/or Response Plan
- Remain calm, supportive and professional during difficult moments or times of crisis
- Separate one’s own emotions from a situation with a student.
- Promote or facilitate positive interactions among all students.
- Record data and observations as directed.
- Assist with program support when specifically directed and monitored by teacher(S).
2. Personal Care:
As identified through the program planning process and under the direction of the teacher(s) and/or school team, when a student cannot, or should not, perform these activities independently, the Educational Assistant, will as required be able to perform these tasks:
- Assist students with physical and mobility challenges by lifting and positioning,
- Ensure a safe and respectful environment when meeting personal care needs of students.
- Assist students with routines.
- Assist in the operation of support equipment, including lifts and assistive technology.
- Administer medication and oral inhalant according to the Guidelines.
- Carry out medical procedures (e.g., catheterization, tube feeding) when trained and authorized, according to board policies and/or guidelines.
- Implement programs as prepared by the Speech Language Pathologist, Physiotherapist, and Occupational Therapist or other professionals.
- assist with program support when specifically directed and monitored by teacher(s).
3. Transportation of Students
Educational Assistants may be required to accompany students or to provide transportation to students to and from school via school bus, taxi, or private vehicle in compliance with Regional Centre policy and procedures.
4. Supervision of Students:
Educational Assistants may be required to:
- provide supervision for students before and after school;
- provide supervision for students during the lunch and recess breaks;
- provide supervision for students in the cafeteria, halls and other designated areas;
- provide supervision of students getting on or off school buses before school begins and after school is dismissed;
- report to the principal or designate any problem or discipline issue that occurred during supervision either individually or as group.
Applications will be considered:
First, in accordance with the Nova Scotia Government and General Employees Union (NSGEU) Local 73 Bargaining Unit.
Second, to applicants who self-identify and are members of the identified peoples in accordance with AVRCE's Employment Equity.
Third, if there are no successful candidates from the Employment Equity applicant pool, then other external candidates will be considered for this position.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Segment: Education