Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $31.80–$35.24 an hour
Location : Alberta
If you are committed to public service, enjoy collaborating with others, share our values and have a desire to learn and grow, join The City of Calgary . City employees deliver the services, run the programs and operate the facilities which make a difference in our community. We support work-life balance, promote physical and psychological safety, and offer competitive wages, pensions, and benefits . Together we make Calgary a great place to make a living, a great place to make a life.
The City is committed to fostering a respectful, inclusive and equitable workplace which is representative of the community we serve. We welcome those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, inclusion, anti-racism and reconciliation. Applications are encouraged from members of groups that are historically disadvantaged and underrepresented. Accommodations are available during the hiring process, upon request.
As a Pathway Worker 2, you will report to the Pathways Foreman 6 and delegates and you will be responsible for achieving the goals of the Pathways & Trails portfolio on a day-to-day basis. The duties of the Pathway Worker vary by season and change as requirements dictate. Primary duties include:
- Plan the day based on the work schedule provided by the Foreman including performing pre-trip vehicle inspections (if applicable), identify and load tools, and plan the driving route.
- Perform work as assigned at pathway sites, ensure tools and equipment are available, and provide assistance to other crews on performing day-to-day work.
- Asphalt maintenance including repairs to pathways infrastructure (patching, crack sealing, pothole repair), vegetation management by cutting of vegetation adjacent to pathways, and application of line paint & stencils to pathways.
- Maintain pathways-specific signage as required (Graffiti removal, replacement, & maintenance).
- Plow, snow and ice removal, sanding and salting of pathways.
- Maintain granular & dirt trail assets (regrading of trail surface, adjustment of drainage, trail upkeep).
- Complete pathway inspection sheets, and performing inspections on pathways and trails.
- Record pathway time and equipment time to appropriate work orders.
- Follow up with service requests as well as Councilor concerns.
- Inspection of assets (pathways, trails, bollard and signage conditions, and engineered walkways & maze gates).
- Respond to inquiries, requests and complaints received from the general public.
- Perform other duties such as responding to incidental concerns expressed by the public and completing paperwork and iPad entries such as daily tracking reports, 311 and fuel tracking logs.
Less than high school and no experience before hire.
A valid Class 5 Driver’s License (or provincial equivalency) with no more than 6 demerits OR a Class 5 Graduated Driver’s License (GDL) with no more than 4 demerits, and no current charges or suspension pending is required.
Previous landscape construction maintenance experience, and the use of power tools, bobcat with attachments and sanding trucks with blades will be considered assets.
Preference will be given to applicants with two or more seasons of experience in Pathways & Trails portfolio, including experience in performing work & inspections on pathways and trails assets.
Experience with 3-1-1 Service Request process, Parks Asset Reporting & Information System (PARIS) , Transportation of Dangerous Goods certification, WHIMIS Training, Trailer Skills up to 9,999kg, and/or a Pathway Trail Course will also be given preference.
A thorough working knowledge of pathway & trail maintenance practices, pathway & trail segmentation and identifiers, ability to follow and understand mapping.
Success in this position requires well-developed planning and organizing skills and dependability for completing all aspects of the job.
Strong communication and interpersonal skills with a demonstrated customer focus and the ability to work with and assist team members.
Proven safety awareness and dependability for completing all aspects of the job.
Working Conditions: Applicants will be required to drive and operate large equipment and power tools, as well as perform physical demands of the job in all types of weather conditions.
Must obtain a City of Calgary operator's permit
Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
Pre-employment Drug Test: An offer of employment for this position will be conditional on an applicant passing a pre-employment drug test. This test assesses for use of drugs including cannabis. Failure to pass a pre-employment drug test may prevent an applicant from being hired into any safety sensitive position for a period of up to twelve months.
Union: CUPE Local 37
Business Unit: Mobility
Position Type: 17 Temporary/Seasonal
Compensation: Pay Grade 2 $31.80 - 35.24 per hour
Days of Work: This position works 4 days/week (Monday - Thursday) or
3 Days /week (Friday - Sunday, Winter Weekend Shift).
Hours of work: Non-standard 38 hour work week
Apply By: March 22, 2023
Job ID #: 307280