New Job Information Technology Technician - Library In British Columbia
|Information Technology Technician - Library
Information Technology Technician - Library
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $40.29–$47.57 an hour
Location : British Columbia
Requisition ID: 38174
Company: Vancouver Public Library
Worksite: Information Technology Services
The Vancouver Public Library (VPL) is the third largest public library system in Canada, with 800 staff members offering services at 21 branches across the city. VPL values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly service. Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive, and rewarding workplace.
Job Summary: This is an in-person position located in beautiful Vancouver, BC and the incumbent will be working from the Central Library in downtown Vancouver.
Reporting to the Manager Desktop Services, Information Technology Services, the incumbent is a member of a team of information technology technicians responsible for investigating and resolving a wide variety of the more complex user, hardware and software problems on networked computers; building desktop computer images; desktop and mobile device hardware and application support; configuration, systems administration of library applications, user account management, Integrated Library System support and maintenance, training staff, writing and maintaining documentation, and resolving and escalating as appropriate emergencies related to all computer systems used by the Library.
- Undergraduate or college degree in an IT related discipline with emphasis on desktop and application support.
- Diploma in computer technology from a two-year program or related discipline plus sound related library experience
- Experience in tier two desktop and application support, management of desktop computer fleets, management of mobile devices, customer support. Experience working in a library and in maintenance and support of Integrated Library System applications.
- Demonstrated experience in a position of responsibility requiring independence of judgement.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to understand and operate VPL computer systems; install PCs, monitors, printers and associated software and to perform basic troubleshooting and maintenance of equipment and applications; develop logical approaches to solving problems.
- Working knowledge in the practice, procedure and tools used in the creating, maintaining and deploying desktop images.
- Working knowledge of Active Directory, WSUS, SCCM, Microsoft Office Applications and enterprise-grade antivirus.
- Working knowledge of integrated library software systems, server operations, functions, and procedures.
- Ability to configure and support mobile devices using MS Intune (Android, iOS).
- Familiar with scripting languages (PowerShell, bash, Python etc) and SQL query languages.
- Ability to understand and interpret relatively complex written and oral instructions and procedures.
- Ability to manage user security by creating, updating and deleting user accounts including AD user accounts and Integrated Library System user accounts.
- Working knowledge of computer networks and ability to identify, diagnose and solve problems with network devices including wireless devices.
- Ability to write effective documentation for departmental procedures and for end users.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation/facilitation skills, with ability to communicate at all levels within the organization.
- Have a high level of accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Train VPL staff in the use of computer equipment and library applications;
- Establish and maintain satisfactory working relationships and deal tactfully with other staff members;
- Recognize and adhere to schedules and work under pressure; perform assigned duties under minimal supervision.
- Superior mechanical aptitude.
- A valid driver’s license for the province of British Columbia.
Affiliation: CUPE 391
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Salary: $40.29 to $47.57 per hour
Monday 1:15pm – 9:15pm, Tuesday 8am – 4pm, Wednesday 7am – 3pm, Thursday 7am – 3pm, Saturday 8am – 4pm, Sunday 8am – 4pm
Tuesday Earned Day Off, Wednesday 7am – 3pm, Thursday 1:15pm, 9:15pm, Friday 8am – 4pm
Monday 7am – 3pm, Tuesday 7am – 3pm, Wednesday 7am – 3pm, Thursday 1:15pm – 9:15pm, Friday 8am – 4pm
Monday 8am – 4pm, Tuesday 7am – 3pm, Wednesday 7am – 3pm, Thursday 1:15pm – 9:15pm, Friday 8am – 4pm
Note: Work schedules may change with reasonable notice
Closing date: Thursday, March 23, 2023 at 11:59pm
While the Library thanks you in advance, only those candidates being considered will be contacted.
Vancouver Public Library is committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds including Indigenous Peoples, LGBTQ+, all genders, ethnicities, and persons with disabilities. Should you be shortlisted and require an accommodation during the selection process, please provide details to the hiring committee.
Applicants must be prepared to work at any location in the VPL system. As VPL is responsible for the well-being of its patrons, a Police Information Check clearance is a condition of employment. All Vancouver Public Library employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire and ongoing employment. Candidates who are not able to obtain a COVID-19 vaccine for a reason related to a Human Rights Code ground (such as disability) can request an accommodation at any time during the recruitment process. Please refer to our policy for further information. Personal information collected is used in accordance with the BC Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.