Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Manitoba
The Industrial Welder’s position works under the supervision of the Vehicle Systems Supervisor. This position is responsible for performing a wide variety of duties, including welding, brazing cutting and bending metal, repairing and fabricating bus and shop equipment/parts, as well as any other duties consistent with the classification.
As the Industrial Welder you will:
- Perform Arc, Heli-arc, Mig and Gas welding on Steel, Stainless Steel, Aluminum, etc., used in the bus frames, as well as automotive, shop and facilities equipment.
- Utilize an Acetylene Torch and/or Plasma Cutter to dismantle bus frames, various components and steel plate used in the fabrication bus, shop and facilities components/parts.
- Manufacture, rebuild and repair bus and shop equipment components/tools as directed.
- Straighten bus frame components and in accordance with established procedures, determine the nature and extent of the straightening required.
- Repair/rebuild shop tools and equipment, as well as assist in the rebuilding of bus component/parts, assessing the nature and extent of the repair/rebuild requirement and determining if salvageable and/or if required repair is cost efficient.
- Fabricate new parts and shop equipment/tools, assessing the nature of the requirement, generating drawings and/or technical schematics or utilize blue prints provided, setting up and fabricating the component, part, tool, or equipment item.
- Assist with the training and/or instruction of other employees.
- Enter all work progress and required details into the Division’s computerized Maintenance Management Information System (MMIS).
- Operate a transit bus or vehicle where necessary to move from one location to another, upon request.
- Perform other related duties consistent with the classification.
Your education and qualifications include:
- High School graduate or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Certified Journeyman Industrial Welder, recognized by the Province of Manitoba.
- Demonstrated fabrication experience as an Industrial Welder, preferably in a motor vehicle-maintenance working environment.
- Must have prior working experience in Heli-arc, Mig and gas welding, as well as brazing, cutting and bending various types of metal.
- Must be able to generate drawings and technical schematics.
- Must have proven work experience in reading blue prints, as well as fabricating components from design drawings.
- Proven ability to work with a minimum of supervision.
- Proven ability to communicate clearly and concisely, as well as effectively follow verbal or written instruction.
- Demonstrated ability to adhere to the requirements of Respectful Workplace Standard.
Conditions of employment:
- The successful applicant must maintain legal eligibility to work in Canada. If the successful applicant possesses a work permit, it is their responsibility to ensure the permit remains valid.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class 2 Manitoba Driver’s License with Air Brake Endorsement in good standing with a clear driver’s abstract.
- Possess a valid Canadian Welding Bureau (CWB) ticket, or able to obtain the same within 5 months of being appointed to the position.
- Must be able to learn and operate the Division’s Maintenance Management Information System (MMIS) within a reasonable period of time, as determined by management.
- Must be physically capable of performing the routine manual labour components of the position, which may include but are not limited to: heavy lifting (up to 100lbs), maneuvering within or around large equipment, exposure to extreme weather conditions, diesel exhaust fumes and chemical agents used in the mechanical field.
- Must possess a set of basic hand tools required for the position.
CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL EMPLOYEES OF THE CITY OF WINNIPEG:
- Citizen & Customer Focus
- Respecting Diversity
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Results Oriented