New Job Utility 1 (Seasonal) In Manitoba
|Utility 1 (Seasonal)
Utility 1 (Seasonal)
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Manitoba
Under the direct supervision of the Foreman Grade 1 or Maintenance Coordinator – Foreman Grade 3, the Utility 1 completes assigned tasks and duties for the City of Winnipeg golf courses. Working in a team environment, as well as using their own judgment and problem-solving skills, the Utility 1 is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of vehicles, equipment and attachments as required to perform golf maintenance functions. Performs seasonal grass maintenance duties such as mowing and seeding.
As a Utility 1, you will:
- Perform all aspects of turf maintenance for the City of Winnipeg golf courses.
- Cut fairways, tees, greens and rough as directed by the Foreman or Lead Hand throughout the golf course and clubhouse areas using riding mowers, push mowers and weed trimmer ensuring a high standard of presentation.
- Assist with the aeration of greens and tees, spread top soil/sand as required, and blow debris off greens.
- Water greens, tees and fairways manually and water areas of the golf course as directed by the Foreman or Lead Hand.
- Assist with sodding as required, and assist with fertilization of greens, tees, and aprons.
- Manually rake sand traps, trim, edge and weed sand traps as directed by the Foreman or Lead Hand.
- Assist with the application of pesticides and fungicides.
- Assist in the general maintenance of the grounds by watering and maintaining all flower beds, planters and shrubs which include weeding, planting and flower replacement, and assist with fertilization of flower beds.
- Cart path maintenance which includes filling potholes, spreading gravel, spraying weeds.
- Be responsible for emptying all garbage/recycling bins on the golf course and around the clubhouse, using hand held litter picker to remove garbage from parking lot, golf course, club house area, and fence line.
- Move tee markers, maintain ball washers and cutting holes as directed by the Foreman.
- Assist in the opening and closing of the golf courses which include assisting with the placement or removal of protective covers (tarps), performing general maintenance such as manually picking up branches and garbage, and mulching / blowing leaves for both opening and closing.
- Service golf carts which include removal and installation of batteries, oil changes, cleaning and refueling.
- Perform other duties as assigned that fall within the classification.
Your education and qualifications include:
- Grade 12 or GED or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- One-year experience working on golf course maintenance or turf maintenance experience and/or enrollment/completion of a recognized green-space/turf management program.
- Verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate with the general public in challenging situations.
- Interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment and maintain effective working relationships with staff and stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and ensure accuracy of work.
- Ability to make minor adjustments and repairs to gasoline/diesel engines, operate and maintain standard golf course equipment is considered desired.
- Basic proficiency with computers and programs such as Word and Outlook.
- Knowledge of the game of golf and the rules of golf is desired.
Conditions of employment:
- The successful applicant must maintain legal eligibility to work in Canada. If the successful applicant possesses a work permit, it is their responsibility to ensure the permit remains valid.
- Police Information Check satisfactory to the employer will be required from the successful candidate, at their expense. To obtain a Police Information Check, please visit www.winnipeg.ca/police.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class 5 Manitoba Driver’s License. The successful applicant will be required to provide a driver’s notice in force document upon request.
- Must be available to work shifts, weekdays, evenings, nights, and weekends including statutory holidays.
- Must be willing to be assigned to different golf courses dependent on operational requirements with duties performed dependent on facility.
- Must be physically capable of performing the duties and responsibilities of the position including lifting weights in excess of up to 50 lbs.
CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL EMPLOYEES OF THE CITY OF WINNIPEG:
- Citizen & Customer Focus
- Respecting Diversity
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Results Oriented