New Job Taxation Clerk Ii In Alberta
|Taxation Clerk II|
Taxation Clerk II
Company : Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo
Salary : $44.08 an hour
Location : Alberta
Requisition ID: 1720
Affiliation: CUPE Municipal
Position Type: Temporary Full Time
Fixed Term Duration: Approximately eighteen (18) months
Number of Openings: 1
Bi-weekly Working Hours: 70 hours bi-weekly
Department/ Branch: Financial Services, Assessment
Job Location: Fort McMurray
Pay Level: PL10
Rate*: $ 44.08
COLA: Bi-Weekly - $480
Closing Date (dd/mm/yyyy): 26/02/2023
Posting Type: Internal and External
All CUPE job rates are currently under review and are subject to change.
Under general direction, the Taxation Clerk II is responsible for the administration of the tax roll, in accordance with municipal bylaws and all pertinent provincial and federal statutes. Ensures that tax maintenance, notification billing, recording, and accounting procedures are completed appropriately. Bills, records, and accounts for all taxes and grants-in-lieu of taxes due to the municipality and administers the tax instalment payment plan (TIPP) program.
Coordinate and handle the preparation, production, and mailing of all tax notices.
- Coordinate, assemble, and prepare data, and apply and reconcile all grants-in-lieu of taxes.
- Ensure taxation reconciles with the assessment system and track monies collected from tax sales.
- Accurately review, update, and maintain address and ownership changes for all taxation accounts.
- Run land title reports as per established timelines, review all changes, correct discrepancies, and complete data entry into applicable system.
- Provide land title information to assessment for updates to assessment records and prepare new accounts.
- Prepare documentation for annual taxation audits and annual entries for adjustment to requisitions.
- Develop queries of taxation information and export to spreadsheets.
- Coordinate updates and perform system testing of the online taxation systems, in conjunction with the appropriate departments.
- Provide assistance in writing and administering municipal bylaws and preparing council reports.
- Ensure well drilling tax is levied on a timely basis.
- Ensure payments, penalties, refunds, and adjustments are posted to customers’ accounts in a timely basis.
- Allocate and edit the accounting entries to the individual accounts, and process and edit tax searches and tax certificates.
- Balance and reconcile the sub-ledgers to the general ledger; complete penalty runs for all levies on the respective penalty dates; and prepare list of accounts requiring reminder notices and send notices.
- Receive and respond to public enquiries and complaints, through various means of communication; and liaise with mobile home park administrative offices regarding inventories, bills of sale, etc.
- Verify a list of properties for the tax arrears list.
- Support orientation and training of new and existing employees.
- Coordinate and balance workload among co-workers. Performs other related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of modern and intermediate level accounting practices.
- Ability to interpret and administer the municipal government policies as related to taxation.
- Ability to work independently conducting research, identifying issues, and solving problems within deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills.
- Strong organizational, analytical, interpersonal, and time-management skills.
- Ability to work in a collaborative, team-based environment.
- Proficient in various computer programs and Microsoft Office applications, including advanced skills in Excel.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Certificate in Accounting or Business Administration, combined with five (5) year’s experience working in a computerized accounting environment.
- Diploma in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting or Finance, combined with four (4) years’ experience working in a computerized accounting environment.
- Education must include both introductory financial and introductory managerial accounting courses.
- Must have previous experience providing customer service to the general public in stressful situations, and experience working in a municipal property tax environment is considered an asset.
Ability to provide a Criminal Record Check for review and acceptance.
As an employee of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, the incumbent is responsible for understanding and actively participating in the RMWB’s health and safety management system, including all policies, practices, procedures, as well as properly utilizing all control measures including the required use of personal protective equipment. All employees must take reasonable care to protect the health and safety of themselves and others, as well as immediately report any concerns, near misses, incidents, and hazardous conditions to their supervisor.
To apply: Please visit our website at jobs.rmwb.ca
Current employees must apply through the internal careers site.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, only those individuals
selected for interviews will be contacted. Late applications will not be accepted.