New Job Summer Student (Engineering) (Hebbville) In Nova Scotia
|Summer Student (Engineering) (Hebbville)
Summer Student (Engineering) (Hebbville)
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $17.25–$28.12 an hour
Location : Nova Scotia
Department: Public Works
Type of Employment: Student
Union Status: Exclusion - Non Union - NSPG
Closing Date: 3/10/2023 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
Building and maintaining our provincial infrastructure is no small job. We’re recruiting for summer engineering students to help our province achieve big things!
At the Department of Public Works, we manage 23,000 kilometers of roads and highways and 4,100 bridges across Nova Scotia. Our District Highway Operations Division plays a critical role in managing snow and ice control services, road maintenance and repair services throughout the province.
About Our Opportunity
As the Engineering Student, you will gain practical experience and receive training and mentorship from highly qualified Engineering professionals. This is the perfect opportunity to jump start your career, gain an understanding of bridge and highway construction, and watch your contributions come to life as you make exciting impacts to the Provincial road network of Nova Scotia.
We offer opportunities to participate in training courses for Standard First Aid, Traffic Control Person, Temporary Workplace Signer, along with other safety courses. We will provide you with all the required technical and protective equipment you need, and as a bonus, you get to keep the boots we provide you when your summer work ends.
Mileage opportunities throughout the term. Meals will be provided where work site distance from the assigned base supports the claim.
You will assist the Project Engineer/Area Manager in a wide range of duties and have the opportunity to:
- Complete project estimates and contract administration for various capital projects through the area;
- Be involved with bridge assessments along with highway and road evaluations;
- Conduct safety and traffic related investigations and assessments;
- Provide oversight for contracted work while ensuring quality, safety, and environmental standards are met and in accordance with Department standards, Acts and Regulations;
- Assist the Project Engineer in supervising construction staff;
- Process permits and participate in the road and budget inventory database; and
- Participate in and collaborate with various staff on special projects which will further enhance and develop your skills.
Qualifications and Experience
You are a Bachelor of Engineering student and returning to school in the fall (or in the next applicable semester for the education program).
Travel throughout your assigned area is required, as such, you must have a valid driver license and access to a reliable motor vehicle. Please include a copy of your driver’s abstract with your application.
As the ideal candidate you demonstrate a keen interest in highway and bridge construction and maintenance activities.
You must also be:
- Proficient in mathematics and drafting;
- Familiar with computer software packages used in an engineering environment;
- Organized and able to prioritize your work; and
- An excellent communicator who provides professional customer service.
The following are considered assets:
- Familiarity with construction sites, as well as bridge and highway construction design standards;
- Familiarity with contract specifications;
- Exposure to heavy equipment; and
- Training in First Aid, Traffic Control Person, or Temporary Workplace Signer.
We will assess the above qualifications and competencies using one or more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks.
About half of your work is outdoors in various weather conditions, with considerable travel throughout your assigned area.
There is one (1) position available in Hebbville.
This opportunity can be either a 4 or 8 month opportunity depending on availability and will start approximately May 1, 2023.
Please note in your cover letter if your preference is for a 4 or 8 month work term.
Pay Grade: HOURLY
Salary Range: $17.25 - $28.12 Hourly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
Current government employees may access this posting through the link below:
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to [email protected].