|Service Barrie Customer Service Assistant Summer Student|
Service Barrie Customer Service Assistant Summer Student
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $17.06–$22.09 an hour
Location : Ontario
Posted: Thursday, February 2, 2023
Job Number: STUDENT -23-06
Job Type: Student, Temporary Full-time, Up to 4 Months, Non-Union
Position Closing Date: Thurs day, February 16, 2023
The City of Barrie is a vibrant, progressive, and growing community with deep connections to our heritage, to nature and to the opportunities surrounding us.
Our community values quality of life; the ability to play year-round with 300 hectares of park space, our beautiful waterfront, our lively downtown core and the nearby hills, wetlands, and forests. We also value connections; to our neighbours and the community, to our road and rail network, and to the opportunity Barrie provides to enjoy life.
Everything Barrie has to offer, from the water we drink to the roads we travel on, has one thing in common - municipal workers. Joining a municipality is one of the most rewarding, engaging, and exciting careers you could choose. It is a career you can take pride in knowing that every day you make a positive impact on an entire community. We are one team, with one goal and we all work together to continue making our community great.
Access Barrie combines customer service, marketing and communications, transit and parking, and information technology. This strategic portfolio reflects the importance and need for the City to easily and efficiently connect the people who live and work in Barrie to the people, places, services and information that matters to them. The Marketing and Communications Branch’s work involves creating communications plans that determine the most appropriate way to deliver messages that includes clear, concise content that can be easily understood by targeted audiences (including internal, public, media, etc.). Primary Communications responsibilities include: providing leadership on the development and implementation of communications programs, community engagement, managing critical communications issues, managing the use of the InSite, barrie.ca, social media and digital communications. Conducting all aspects of media relations, including the preparation of media releases, advisories, advertising, and media monitoring. Marketing involves managing the corporate brand identity including paid advertising (radio, print, digital), design and web work. Provide multimedia and graphic design support including the development of promotional materials (posters, ads, brochures, videos, graphics etc.) and staff work to ensure the integrity of the corporate brand is maintained in all corporate materials produced
Under the general guidance and direction of the Supervisor of Service Barrie and the Supervisor of Customer Systems, the Service Barrie Customer Service Assistant position is responsible for providing frontline customer service regarding the City’s services, procedures, practices, policies, and programs. Specifically, this position receives inquiries, requests and/or complaints through various channels of communication; identifies customer needs; responds using research and data gathered from the knowledge base and customer relationship management (CRM) software and/or transfers inquiries and/or requests requiring specialized or technical information to the applicable City subject matter experts for action and response. Additionally, this position processes various transactions and payments for City services and programs. Overall, this position plays an integral role in providing centralized, consistent customer service to internal and external customers with respect to the wide range of City services and programs.
Our Culture and Qualifications of the Job
- Your workplace values align with our corporate values of Strive, Share and Care and you want to join us in providing exceptional services and programs to build a prosperous, growing and sustainable community
- Currently enrolled in or is a student in Secondary School, College, or University*
- Minimum of 16 years of age or turning 16 by the end of the calendar year and must have attended one of the academic establishments listed above the year in which they are applying for employment and/or returning the following year
- Demonstrated experience in a customer service role performing duties related to the above mentioned major responsibilities.
- General knowledge of customer service delivery standards and techniques
- General knowledge of administrative processes and procedures and general office equipment operation
- General knowledge of cash handling and management practices
- Demonstrated ability to:
o operate a cash register, balance cash and prepare daily deposits
o deal with difficult customers, diffuse emotionally-charged situations and resolve customer issues in a diplomatic and professional manner
o input information efficiently and accurately into technology software solutions
o maintain a high standard of public relations at all times
o multitask and prioritize conflicting priorities and work demands within a fast paced work environment
o read, interpret and apply policies and procedures
- Basic attention to detail, organizational, prioritization, customer service and time management skills
- Basic interpersonal, problem solving, research, communication (verbal and written) and teamwork skills
- Basic computer literacy utilizing Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word) and the Internet
- Availability to accommodate deadlines, and/or peak period workloads that may extend beyond the normal workday or occur on evenings/weekends
Conditions of Employment
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check*
- Please note that this is a requirement of the position for any new employees to the City of Barrie in accordance with the Police Record Check Procedure. Existing employees will be grandparented from this requirement.
Other Important Information
Work Term: May 1 - September 1, 2023
Wage: $17.06 to $22.09 per hour
Hours: The normal hours of work are 40 hours per week,
Location: City Hall, 70 Collier Street, Barrie, Ontario
The City of Barrie is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices and we will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise if you require Code-protected accommodation and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Disclaimer: The job posting has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this position title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of employees to do this position. For full position details, please request a copy of the Job Description by emailing [email protected].
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.