New Job Senior Engineer - Control Systems And Automation In Newfoundland And Labrador
|Senior Engineer - Control Systems and Automation|
Senior Engineer - Control Systems and Automation
Company : Rio Tinto
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Newfoundland and Labrador
Senior Engineer – Control Systems and Automation
- Be part of a group that is safety driven, inclusive, collaborative and values improvement
- Stimulating role requiring drive, structure, and leadership
- Role based in Labrador City
About the role
All progress begins with Pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for a Senior Automation and Controls Engineer to design and implement sustainable automation projects as an integral part of the engineering team. Role will be responsible to utilize extensive knowledge and experience to lead the design in delivery of capital projects at an industrial environment. This role will be based in Labrador City, NL. This role also contributes to providing support to testing & commissioning activities as well as on an as needed basis providing technical support to operations / maintenance teams. The Automation and Control Systems Engineer is a role responsible for providing engineering services while considering safety, quality, cost, feasibility, and production.
What you bring
Reporting to the Superintendent Automation, Instrumentation, Control Systems you will have:
- Strong PLC programming skills, preferably experienced with Allan Bradley Control Logix and PLC5
- Strong DCS programming skills, highly experienced with Foxboro
- Strong design knowledge of automation systems, control philosophy and applications.
- Experience developing operator interfaces, HMi
- Strong knowledge of network protocols DeviceNet, HART; working knowledge of Ethernet (TCP/IP),
- Experience in process control engineering and instrumentation
- Experience reading block flow diagrams, process flow diagrams, and P&ID’s and translating into control narratives and other associated control system documents
- Experience in reading wiring diagrams, electrical drawings
- Preferable to have knowledge about variable speed drives and motor control centers
- Knowledge of alarm rationalization, functional safety in design
- Knowledge of PLC and DCS hardware, field instruments and equipment
What responsibilities you will have in this role
- Oversee the engineering design and commissioning of industrial electrical power systems.
- Application, design, configuration, and commissioning of Automation systems
- Lead capital projects development including feasibility studies, project scope definitions, capital cost estimates, preliminary and detailed engineering designs.
- Performs PLC and DCS programming
- Determines appropriate design deliverables based on project complexity
- Leads trouble shooting of automation systems and equipment
- Improves and upgrades existing assets and applies complex problem-solving techniques;
- Holds a key understanding of the project lifecycle, facility lifecycle and the engineering process;
What you will need for this role
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering – Automation, Electrical, or Electronics
- P.Eng. designation
- Minimum 6 years of automation experience
- Preferably experience working at an engineering firm, automation solutions provider, or plants engineering teams
- Experience working on industrial automation projects
What we offer
- Be recognized for your contribution, you’re thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A permanent position working directly for Rio Tinto
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience with annual incentive program
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidized private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Company provided insurance cover
- Extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Career development & education assistance to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical wellbeing support
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
- Exclusive employee discounts (banking, accommodation, cars, retail and more)
- Relocation assistance where necessary
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminum – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you’ll be working
At Rio Tinto Exploration, we are investing in growth for the future – starting with the exploration for new sources of essential materials. Our talented team of explorers are constantly searching the world, seeking to create value for the business by discovering and acquiring economically, socially and environmentally sustainable resources. We have 63 programs in eight commodities across 16 countries.
We’re focused on fast-tracking technologies, data and using analytical insights to unlock value and improve the effectiveness and efficiency at every stage of the exploration process. We’re looking for a diverse team of leaders in technology and data science experts to drive our technology strategy and create viable discovery opportunities for Rio Tinto.
Role based in any of Rio Tinto Exploration’s hubs (Reading, Salt Lake City, Perth, Brisbane, Santiago, Brasilia, Lima, Vancouver).
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQIA2 community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.