|Senior Communications Consultant|
Senior Communications Consultant
Company : The City of Red Deer
Salary : $40.97–$43.39 an hour
Location : Alberta
This Senior Communications Consultant position provides strategic communications advice on complex and longer-term communications issues, projects and initiatives. Responsible for leading in the development and implementation of strategic communications plans focusing on major corporate initiatives, budgets, strategic areas of emphasis, capital projects, strategic planning, media relations and issues management. Provides leadership to department students as opportunities arise. Provides leadership and mentorship to Communications Consultant staff on a project basis. Actual responsibilities may vary. Senior Communications Consultants may also be hired for specific projects or to focus on specific corporate priorities.
- Knowledge gained through completing an undergraduate degree in communications, journalism, or related field, plus five years of progressively more complex communications experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in a municipal environment considered an asset. IABC or CPRS accreditation considered an asset.
- Record of significant accomplishments in developing and managing effective high impact communications planning and implementation.
- Applied knowledge of communication principles including public relations, issues management, promotion, branding, media relations, public consultation, publication development and production, special event planning, crisis communications as well as marketing and general public affairs.
- Ability to assess communications issues/requirements and provide recommendations for resolution.
- Ability to organize, clarify and communicate complex or ambiguous ideas effectively through engaging, easy-to-understand messages.
- Creativity, superior writing and editing ability for all media.
- Demonstrated understanding and application of new media technologies in a corporate communications environment.
- Ability to effectively facilitate groups to cause understanding and solicit ideas and feedback.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate with honesty, sensitivity and diplomacy, maintain confidentiality and deal tactfully in an open and political environment.
- Ability to foster and maintain effective working relationships with diverse stakeholders both within the organization and external to it. Demonstrates appropriate confidence to earn credibility with Senior Administration and Council, while also earning the trust and confidence of staff at all organizational levels.
- Ability to independently prioritize and manage several competing, complex, evolving projects, including associated budgets.
- Ability to deal with confidential issues, including human resource issues, in a professional manner and in accordance with City policy.
Specific Demands of the Job:
- May require RCMP clearance to provide service to Municipal Policing.
- Requires high levels of concentrated effort to complete projects from conceptualization through to completion, final analysis and reporting.
- Requires the management of diverse responsibilities and the need to regularly adjust priorities using sound judgement and informed discretion as project demands change.
- Requires thoroughness and preciseness in carrying out projects to ensure all parties, including Senior Administration and Council, are provided with accurate information upon which to speak publicly (including to the media).
- Requires the ability to approach issues and projects corporately, understanding the need for reputation management throughout all communications.
- Required to work outside of regular office hours, at times, for meetings and to meet deadlines.
Affiliation: Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 417
Remuneration: $40.97 to $43.39 per hour
Hours of Work: 75 hours biweekly; Monday to Friday; occasionally some evenings and weekend work may be required.
- Please note that this is a term position, with an anticipated end date of December 31, 2023.
We thank you for your application; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.