New Job Operator, Packer In Yukon
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Yukon
Job posting closes: February 15, 2023 at 05:00 p.m. Yukon Standard Time
An Eligibility List may be established from this competition – the duration of the eligibility list may be up to 12 months. The eligibility list may be used to fill future permanent full-time, permanent part-time, temporary full-time, temporary part-time, term or casual vacancies within the same department and classification based on the organizational needs by going to the next highest ranked candidate until the eligibility list expires.
This position is covered by a collective agreement between the City of Whitehorse and the Public Service Alliance of Canada/Yukon Employees Union.
The City wishes to thank all applicants for their interest but only those candidates selected to advance in the recruitment will be contacted. Note that only those candidates eligible to legally work in Canada will be considered.
Department: Water and Waste Services
The incumbents collect urban solid waste, transport it to the landfill site and dispose of it in accordance with the Solid Waste Bylaw.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operates a packer truck on an established route and schedule.
- Collects and compacts solid waste from street barrels, all City of Whitehorse facilities and all residences within City limits, except for country residential areas.
- Follows, so far as is reasonably practicable, established safety procedures and standards, including those required to operate a right hand drive vehicle.
- Cleans up contained solid waste spills.
- Administers the Solid Waste Bylaw leaving garbage/compost behind that is not in compliance, and notifying residents of the reason(s).
- Maintains the packer truck, performs inspections, assists with minor repairs, reports defects and records daily operations in the vehicle log book.
- Answers or distributes enquiries.
- Provides input to revised Collection routes when new residential developments come on board or when there are other changes that impact safety or efficiency. Also makes suggestions regarding and provides input to Bylaw changes.
- Assists with collection, sorting, storing hazardous wastes at the landfill on the designated days and monitors scavenging at the landfill as assigned.
This description contains elements necessary for identification and evaluation of the job. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.
Four 10-hour shifts per week, Monday - Thursday including holidays except for Christmas and New Year’s Day. Exposed to extreme and inclement weather, hazardous substances, animal excrement and loose dogs while performing their duties.
Required Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Completion Grade 10
- Transportation Dangerous Goods - 7 hours
- WHMIS - 4 hours
- Confined Space Awareness - 8 hours
- Landfill Operator’s Course - 21 hours
- Conflict Resolution Course - 24 hours
- Class 3 Driver’s License with Air Endorsement
- Previous experience - 2 years truck driving experience
- On-the-job experience - 3.75 months
- Team player with conflict resolution skills
- Ability to continuously lift weights of up to 25 pounds
- Thorough knowledge of city streets
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Examples of Equipment to Operate:
Garbage packers of any type or class, hand and power tools, pressure washer, and computer with applications such as Outlook and ERP.
Job seekers are required to create an online profile and submit their application electronically through the City's online Applicant system via www.whitehorse.ca/careers. Instructions on applications are provided at https://www.whitehorse.ca/our-government/employment/how-to-apply/. If you have any further questions regarding this posting, please contact the recruiter at [email protected].
To apply for this position, you are required to submit your resume.
Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the recruiting process.
At the time this posting closes, candidates must have valid and current licenses/certifications/education that match the position requirements. Candidates who are selected to continue with the recruiting process will be required to provide proof of qualifications during their interview.