|Medical Director Medical Services Canada|
Medical Director Medical Services Canada
Company : International SOS
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Alberta
International SOS (www.internationalsos.com) is the world’s leading medical and travel Security Risk Services Company. We care for clients across the globe, from more than 1,000 locations in 90 countries. Our expertise is unique: More than 11,000 employees are led by 1,400 doctors and 200 security specialists. Teams work 24/7 to protect our members. We pioneer a range of preventive programs strengthened by our in-country expertise. We deliver unrivalled emergency assistance during critical illness, accident or civil unrest.
We are passionate about helping clients put Duty of Care into practice. With us, multinational corporate clients, governments and NGOs can mitigate risks for their people working remotely or overseas.
Our global services include medical and risk planning, preventive health programs, in-country expertise and emergency response for travellers, expatriates and their dependents of over 70% of the Fortune 500 companies.
International SOS Canada, is the legal entity for advanced medical services delivery in Canada where applicable and requested by clients or projects requirements
Clinical Governance in Medical Services & Roles Accountabilities
This Position is based in Edmonton (Leduc), Alberta and would require the successful incumbent to live locally.
International SOS is committed to sound & effective Clinical Governance throughout its Medical Services operations globally. This involves the partnership between Clinicians & Management to ensure a sustainable framework and appropriate resources to deliver quality services and ensure patient safety as a part of everyday operations and practices.
Effective and consistent implementation of International SOS Policies, Standards, Procedures and Processes are important requirements of Clinical Governance that ensure client satisfaction, patient safety and effective risk management as well as continuous quality improvement (CQI) of clinical practice. Compliance with these requirements is monitored as part of the International SOS Integrated Management System that includes Clinical Governance Committees and meetings, internal and external audits, Site and Medical Service Centre reporting, clinical incident management and patient outcome monitoring, emergency drills, competency assessment etc.
- Responsible for ensuring the approved Clinical Governance Program for the Region is fully implemented in the Country of responsibility and all clinical governance reporting occurs as required. This includes ensuring Site CG performance is monitored, reviewed and CQI activities implemented where performance does not meet the benchmark.
- Participate in the Regional Clinical Governance Committee ensuring CG performance for the Country is reported and discussed.
- Ensure 100% clinical incidents are escalated to the RMD in a timely manner and within 24 hrs. On the advice of the RMD conduct clinical incident investigations or participate in RCA investigations and provide detailed reports on findings and recommendations to the Regional Medical Director (RMD).
- Responsible for ensuring clinical service delivery is undertaken by competent, qualified and suitably experienced clinicians who are authorised to practice in the location.
- Ensuring the legal and regulatory requirements for operating a medical facility or service in the location are known and documented.
- Ensuring each Medsite or Medical Facility is suitably resourced to deliver services safely, competently and in line with the contracted Scope of Work. This includes ensuring that post mobilisation audits occur as required and gaps in service delivery are addressed as a priority.
- Continuously review medical risk exposure and implement an appropriate management program
- Develop and manage the Medsite medical education program and compliance with weekly drills
Management and Administration:
- Provide leadership on medical related issues together with the Regional Medical Director.
- Proactively raise issues regarding medical and business development to the reporting structure.
- Facilitate effective positive teamwork and clear channels of communication both internally and externally.
- Set clear standards, action plans and yearly performance appraisals for direct reports.
- Establish regular communication mechanisms to ensure the medical teams across sites are clear on organizational and business objectives.
- Establish close relationship with all relevant management in the region.
- Review completed reports and initiate appropriate action plans.
- Provide medical advisory role via Canada Response Center for at least 5 days a week to support the remote site medical professional’s escalations in Canada
- Participate in the After Hours and Weekend On-Call Roster to support Canada Response Center
- Facilitate case managements and referrals in liaison with Canada Response Center Nurse Practitioners, this includes providing recommendations on patients’ movements out of sites of work when medically required
- Oversee medical evacuations and standards of care during patients’ transport
- Provide case updates for evacuated patients as required
- Work closely with OH Medical Advisor/ Consultant Canada to support the function of Response Center
- Ensure that all operational delivery of medical services and patient care performed by medical and clinic support staff meet the appropriate standard of medical quality in accordance with International SOS Group operations guidelines.
- Ensure all medical and clinic support staff are familiar with all relevant Group policies and procedures and that they are always followed.
- Monitor and regularly report on efficiency and quality of the medical operations performance.
- Support the Regional Medical Director to ensure quality planning and delivery of medical services within the region.
- Responsible for quality assurance/ reviewing programs of key medical facilities within the region and for oversight and management of the patient quality assessment process with follow up action as necessary.
- Directly responsible to review and respond to any medical complaints which arise using International SOS procedure guidelines.
- Responsible for overseeing the delivery of clinical education program(s) to medical staff in their remit.
- Demonstrate and understanding of the clients’ contractual agreements and work with the Sales and Marketing department to ensure that relationships with clients are always positives and consistent with the contractual obligations.
- Have a thorough understanding of the International SOS offshore Staffing (MedSite) and Work Health products / solutions to clients and prospects.
- Responsible to provide input to the Sales and Marketing department on medical matters for proposals including definition of the scope of services and feasibility of projects.
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationship with clients Quality, Health, Safety and Environment departments.
- Review on a monthly basis reports of medical services activity and draw a medical and business development agenda for the Sales and Marketing department.
- In conjunction with the Sales and Marketing department, visit existing clients or prospective clients to evaluate their needs and identify new business opportunities.
- Participate in appropriate social professional and networking events which assist with strengthening brand and service awareness within the key market segments.
- Manage effective relationships with the Sales and Marketing team regarding new and potential business to ensure availability of required resources and skill set within the delivery teams.
Essential Job Duties
- Work effectively with non-medical staff
- Effective both strategically and at a hand – on operational level
- Effectively balance medical needs with commercial considerations
- Proactive and solution focused
- Interpersonal and rapport building
- Client focused
- Time Management
- Team player
- Cultural awareness
- Adaptability / Flexibility. Successful performance in changing environments, positive attitude to change, willing to use new techniques, modifies behaviour successfully in response to change.
- Leading & Supervising - Provides others with a clear direction; Sets appropriate standards of behaviour; Delegates work appropriately and fairly; Motivates and empowers others; Provides staff with development opportunities and coaching; Recruits staff of a high calibre.
- Planning / Organisation. Plans and prepares for future events, able to formulate clear and structured plans, effectively prioritises tasks and resources, establishes milestones and sets realistic expectations of themselves
- Teamwork. Actively encourages a team culture, provides honest and constructive feedback, performs own team duties responsibly and effectively, builds trust, actively listens and checks understanding.
- Delivering Results & Meeting Customer Expectations - Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction; Sets high standards for quality and quantity; Monitors and maintains quality and productivity; Works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way; Consistently achieves project goals.
- Presenting & Communicating information - Speaks clearly and fluently; Expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly; Makes presentations and undertakes public speaking with skill and confidence; Responds quickly to the needs of an audience and to their reactions and feedback; Projects credibility.
- Medical Doctor with 5 years plus post-graduation experience
- Experience as a Medical Director or within medical management
- Private health care system experience
- Performance management experience at a senior level
- Client account management experience
- Business acumen
- Full registration to practice in Alberta and British Columbia provinces
- Post graduate qualifications from an academic medical institution with current medical license essential or medical specialist college is a distinct advantage.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Other languages is a plus , like French
- local and international travel required.