New Job Mason (Bricklayer) In Newfoundland And Labrador
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $31.54 an hour
Location : Newfoundland and Labrador
Our City, Our Future
St. John's is a progressive city with a strong connection to the past and a positive outlook on the future. As one of the oldest cities in North America we have a unique history, but we are also a growing city with the needs and opportunities of a modern urban population. The City of St. John’s is committed to recruiting world-class talent and expertise to join our City staff, more than 1200 strong, who provide a vast array of valued services to the residents of St. John's and the metropolitan area. If you are an innovative thinker with a positive attitude and a commitment to quality, we want you to help us make St. John’s a city where people want to live and feel they belong.
The City of St. John's is presently hiring for the full time temporary position of Mason. The period of employment is from April - November 2023.
- Perform journey-level skilled masonry and cement work to alter, repair, and maintain
- Mix mortar; lay bricks and stones, repair concrete sidewalks and walkways; make and
- Install and repair tile floor and/or walls.
- Make repairs to swimming pools, including tile and/or concrete foundations.
- Pick up requisitioned tools and materials from vendors.
- Setup of project sites to allow for safe working conditions during the project.
- Ensure proper use of PPE or personal protective equipment during the cutting and
- Other related duties as required.
The successful applicant will be required to participate in all training programs applicable to this position and other related work. The above statements reflect the general duties considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job identified and shall not be considered a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
- Must possess Red Seal Certificate in Masonry/Brick Layer.
- 3-5 years’ experience in the construction industry as a mason or brick layer.
- Experience in cement finishing would be an asset.
- Ability to use hand tools to perform installation of masonry units.
- Ability to identify different types of masonry products and understand how they are
- Ability to work at heights, including on scaffolding, and maintain a safe working
- Must possess a valid class 5 Driver's license
- Applicant must have a clear understanding and awareness of the Occupational Health
Hours of Work
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Shift work as required.
Applicants must be members of the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 569, or should be prepared to join the Union immediately upon appointment.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted. The City of St. John's does not accept applications in person, by email, fax or mail. Applications will be received up to 12:00 Midnight (Newfoundland Standard Time) on closing date.
This City of St. John's is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the
employment of a qualified workforce which reflects the community's diversity.