Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $22 an hour
Location : British Columbia
Up to fifteen (15) positions
Effective April 3, 2023 to October 31, 2023
Competition #: 21-COV-23
Closing Date: Internal applicants – February 7, 2023
External applicants – February 14, 2023
Rate of Pay: $22.00 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 1 – Schedule B (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday / 40 hours per week
Reporting to an assigned Operations Department Manager or designate, this position carries out a variety of work necessary for the completion of the municipality's construction and maintenance operations in the areas of water, sanitary sewer, storm drainage system, road, sidewalks, parks and buildings, and performs other work as required.
- Assists with directing traffic, placing barricades and warning lights around work projects.
- Assists with the installation and repair of sewer and water pipe, leveling trench, laying pipe, installing gaskets, connecting pipe and backfilling with gravel as required.
- Assembles and disassembles piping and accessories using wrenches and other hand tools.
- Assists with the removal of snow and ice from sidewalks, steps and public spaces using hand shovels and small motorized equipment.
- Assists with the removal of debris, dirt/sand, garbage and needles from City streets, facilities and public spaces using power equipment and hand tools.
- Assists in the regular flushing and cleaning of catch basins, removing blockages in open channels and gravity flushing of sewers. Spreads and compacts hot or cold mix asphalt, shovels and level gravel bases, sets curb and sidewalk forms and assists finishing of concrete surfaces.
- Operates power equipment such as concrete vibrators, compactors, jack hammers, drills and hand tools such as shovels, rakes, tampers and trowels.
- Operates power equipment and tools for grass maintenance, leaf raking, litter pick up, fence maintenance, landscaping, turf maintenance, irrigation, parking lot clean up, trail repair and maintenance.
- Assists with the installation, removal and repair of park playground equipment, benches, bleachers, and fences.
- Assists with the maintenance of landscape beds including but not limited to planting, cultivating, mulching and weed control.
- Loads, unloads and operates City vehicles.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education And Experience:
- Experience in general construction and maintenance work.
- Current BC Driver’s License Class 5.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills And Abilities:
- Able to operate small power tools and equipment.
- Some knowledge of the methods, techniques, materials, tools, and equipment used in general construction, and maintenance work.
- Ability to adapt to constant work schedule changes.
- Knowledge of WCB regulations and safety policies.
- Able to understand and effectively carry out oral and written instructions.
- Able to deal tactfully with other employees, contractors, and the general public.
- Sufficient physical strength, stamina, and coordination to do heavy manual outdoor work in all weather conditions.
- Ability to obtain and maintain an acceptable Police Information Check including a Vulnerable Sector Check.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills And Abilities:
- B.C. Driver’s License, Class 3, complete with “Endorsement 15”.
- Previous experience and certification working with and around industrial equipment (eg backhoes, forklifts).
- Able to operate computers and related software, and general office equipment.
- Previous municipal experience.
- Flagging Certificate.
Conditions of Employment:
As a fundamental term and condition of employment with the City of Vernon, candidates will be required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!
Education : Other trades certificate or diploma
Experience : Experience an asset