|Kennel Attendant Assistant|
Kennel Attendant Assistant
Company : City of Winnipeg
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Manitoba
The Kennel Attendant Assistant provides the daily care, cleaning, feeding, medications, exercise and enrichment activities to shelter dogs and other species as needed. The position assists with medical examinations and treatments and provides administrative support to Animal Services officers related to the Responsible Pet Ownership (RPO) By-law.
As the Kennel Assistant you will:
- Communication with Internal and External Customers
- Animal Behaviour Assessments and Handling
- Animal Husbandry and Facility Maintenance
- Animal Intake and Examinations
- Assist Animal Service Officers and Management with Responsible Pet Ownership Violations
Your education and qualifications include:
- Completion of Grade 12, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Kennel Attendant Assistants must complete approximately 20 hours of online training specific to working with dogs in a shelter environment. (Online training: Fear Free Shelters, shelter dog playgroup training)
- Ongoing education via webinars and online courses are provided throughout the year by various external bodies (IAABC and Aggression in Dogs).
- Experience working in a veterinary clinic, shelter and/or dog boarding facility/daycare
- Experience working in a commercial animal facility (ie: zoo, research, dog kennel) is considered an asset
- Experience handling large dogs with unpredictable behavior
- Experience administering needles and medications is preferred.
- Knowledge of handling techniques for aggressive and fearful dogs
- Ability to safely and effectively restrain various animal species
- Knowledge of Fear Free techniques
- Ability to recognize signs of illness in a dog
- Ability to read dog body language and recognize psychological distress
- Strong customer service skills, including professional phone and email etiquette as well as the ability to maintain composure
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to use computer applications and software, including MS Office
- Knowledge of Chameleon software or 311 software is preferred
- Basic understanding of veterinary medicine
- Ability to administer subcutaneous injections for the purposes of vaccinations and microchipping
- Ability to schedule citizen appointments, veterinary appointments and officer transfers
- Ability to work in a physically demanding and high paced environment
Conditions of employment:
- The successful applicant must maintain legal eligibility to work in Canada. If the successful applicant possesses a work permit, it is their responsibility to ensure the permit remains valid.
- A Police Information Check (Vulnerable Sector) Satisfactory to the employer will be required from the applicant(s) or successful candidate(s), at their expense. To obtain a Police Information Check please visit www.winnipeg.ca/police.
- Must be physically able to perform all duties of the position including, but not limited to: heavy lifting (50-100lbs), pushing/pulling, holding and/or restraining dogs of various sizes, walking and standing for 5+ hours per day.
- The successful candidate will be required to complete a Physical Fitness Assessment and obtain a certificate through the University of Manitoba, at their own expense.
CORE COMPETENCIES: FOR ALL EMPLOYEES OF THE CITY OF WINNIPEG:
- Citizen & Customer Focus
- Respecting Diversity
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Results Oriented