New Job Grasslands Bird Technicians In Manitoba
|Grasslands Bird Technicians|
Grasslands Bird Technicians
Company : Birds Canada
Salary : $3,300–$3,500 a month
Location : Manitoba
Grassland Bird Technicians will work at multiple locations on private and public land in southern Saskatchewan and Manitoba conducting bird surveys in effort to monitor and evaluate grassland bird populations. Field duties will involve early morning avian point counts, rapid vegetation/habitat assessments, and deployment and retrieval of autonomous recording units. Other tasks include data entry, maintenance of equipment, and some processing of bioacoustics samples. Applicants should be independent, physically fit, show attention to detail, be able to problem solve, thrive in shared living accommodations, and enjoy camping and long hours spent outside. Technicians will work early hours (i.e., first light of day) and fieldwork may include some overnight backpack travel to access road-less survey sites.
- Experience and proficiency identifying birds by sight and sound
- Comfortable hiking off-trail on rough terrain between 5 – 15 km per day
- Comfortable working alone sometimes in remote conditions
- Careful and accurate data collection, entry, and management.
- Strong communication skills for working effectively with supervisors, co-workers, and landowners.
- Valid driver’s license and eligible to work in Canada
- Valid first Aid and CPR C
Preference for applicants with:
- At least one field season conducting point count bird surveys
- Native prairie plant identification skills
- Ability to safely navigate rough and sometimes unmaintained roads/trails using a 4×4 truck
- Ability to navigate with GPS, aerial maps, and compass
Compensation and Benefits:
This position is compensated at $3,300-$3,500 per month, depending on experience. Accommodations will be provided for the season and will primarily be rustic tent camping and shared field house accommodations.
These positions will start between May 8-15 and end on August 15, 2023.