|GENERAL HANDYWORKER 1|
GENERAL HANDYWORKER 1
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $32.73 an hour
Location : Ontario
Job ID: 33448
Job Category: Operations & Maintenance
Division & Section: Solid Waste Management Services, SWM Transfer Stations & Landfill Ops
Work Location: Keele Valley Landfill, 7 Eaglet Court Maple On
Job Type & Duration: Full-time, Permanent Vacancy
Hourly Rate: $32.73
Hours & Shift Information: Monday to Friday, 7:00 am.to 3:30 pm, 40 hours per week
Affiliation: L416 Outside
Selection Process: Senior Qualified. A Candidate List will be established.
Number of Positions Open: 2
Posting Period: 24-FEB-2023 to 10-MAR-2023
- Performs skilled and semi-skilled task such as equipment set up, form work, install rebar, drywall, and T- Bar ceiling, pour concrete and make masonry/asphalt repairs, repairs to Landfill sites gas and leachate collection systems not requiring the services of a licensed trade and involved in general building maintenance, repairs and construction of Solid Waste Management facilities.
- Organizes assigned work and arranges the necessary materials and equipment to ensure completion in an efficient and expeditious manner following supervisor direction.
- Requisitions supplies and maintains records of equipment, inventory and other assets following stablished procurement procedures.
- Prepares and maintains written reports and documents related to maintenance and construction activities.
- Operates various types of vehicles, tractors, forklift, trenchers and other specialized equipment, power tools and hand tools associated with maintenance and construction work.
- Required to work occasionally at heights, confined spaces, using overhead hoisting devices.
- May be required to transport crews to work sites.
- Drives light vehicles to various work locations, as required.
- Provides work direction and coaching to General Handyworkers 2 and 3 assigned to help on specific activities.
- Feedback Supervisor on the status of assignments, requirements, and needed coordination.
- Properly follow CMMS maintenance system procedures by completing WOs, reports, details of work, data logging using a computer.
- Performs other related work as assigned.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
1. Considerable experience in the area of building and construction practices, as well as the efficient operation and maintenance of associated equipment not requiring the services of a licensed trade.
2. Experience in general installation, connection and repairs of gas extraction and leachate collection systems and repairs of gas wells ,gas probes and ground water wells.
3. Experience in erecting scaffolding, and the ability to work in confined spaces.
4. Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario, Class “G” Driver’s License and must qualify for the City’s equipment operating permits and requirements.
You must also have:
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties and able to work in all weather conditions.
- With the appropriate safety precautions, must be able to tolerate dusty, noisy, heights and odorous conditions.
- Must be available to work shift/weekend/overtime/on call duty.
- Must be familiar with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and the regulations that apply to this work.
- Ability to read and interpret sketches/maps/ blueprints.
- Ability to perform general maintenance, construction and repairs to buildings, building grounds, and services using a wide range of equipment.
- Ability to work on heights and confined spaces following stablished Regulations.
- Poses some leadership and coaching experience.
- Effective oral and written communication skills and computer use.
- Ability to deal courteously with the public.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.