New Job Field Supervisor-Housing Department In Nova Scotia
|Field Supervisor-Housing Department|
Field Supervisor-Housing Department
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $13.65–$37.93 an hour
Location : Nova Scotia
Field Supervisor, Housing Department
Closing March 2, 2023
Under the supervision of the Housing Manager this position will plan, organize and supervise staff performing rough and finish carpentry work for approved renovation and additions to existing Band-owned buildings as well as new construction. This position may be required to work on site with other carpenters where needed. This includes renovations under ISC (Indigenous Services Canada)
- Supervise and mentor staff that includes on-the-job training, participating in hiring processes and providing ongoing feedback and evaluation.
- Review project plans, blueprints and design jobs for Housing approved projects.
- Estimate completion times, material, costs, equipment and supplies needed for construction projects.
- Develop work schedules and crew assignments,
- Inspect work areas to ensure job is being completed according to agreements.
- Review work orders to determine repairs and costs.
- Monitor employee leave for salaried and hourly employees and notify Band Office Reception and Finance of absences.
- Ensure hazard assessments, inspections and incident reports are prepared and submitted on a timely basis as outlined in OH&S legislation.
- Provides, or arranges for, on-the-job training to staff as legislated (e.g. fall protection, OH&S, First Aid, GHS/WHMIS, use of equipment/tool care, etc.).
- Perform rough and finish carpentry work to building additions/renovations such as barrier free equipment adjustments, roof patches, floor installation and other various repairs (wall/ceiling, window, door, railings, stairs, weather stripping, painting, staining, etc.)
- Maintain and purchases or rent tools and equipment as per financial guidelines
- Work closely with the other Field Supervisor and assist when needed.
- Other related duties as assigned by Manager such as picking up supplies, attending meetings, special projects, maintaining records, providing updates, etc.
Qualifications and Education:
- Gr. 12 or equivalent plus training in the carpentry field.
- At least 3 years of related carpentry experience with at least one year in a supervisory/leadership role.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Understanding of the Housing Construction and National Building Codes or ability to learn.
- Physically able to lift and move up to 50 lbs, work with heights, perform strenuous repetitive work and work in outside in extreme weather conditions.
- Ability to prioritize, organize and self-manage
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with basic computer skills.
- Knowledge of Indigenous and/or Mi’kmaq communities/organizations.
- Must have a valid driver’s license & reliable vehicle with automobile insurance.
- Ability to resolve disputes or disagreements.
- A criminal records check is required. Having a criminal record is not necessarily a determinate factor.
Starting salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. This position comes with a variety of benefits including health, dental, disability and life insurances, an employee & family assistance program and an employer pension plan.
_We are an equal opportunity employer; however, qualified Indigenous applicants will be given priority in accordance with the Aboriginal Employment Preference Policy of the Canadian Human Rights Commission. The Band will not assume any expenses related to any job-related application process, included but not limited to travel, relocation, and application development. Please note certain positions come with mandatory employee benefits. This competition may be used to staff future related job opportunities with Sipeknekatik.
_Only those applicants who qualify for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $13.65-$37.93 per hour
- Casual dress
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Indian Brook, NS: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Secondary School (preferred)
- Carpentry: 3 years (preferred)
Work Location: One location
Application deadline: 2023-03-02