New Job Designer - Mechanical In Alberta
|Designer - Mechanical
Designer - Mechanical
Company : Smith + Andersen
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Alberta
The Edmonton office of Smith + Andersen is seeking an experienced Mechanical Designer. You are trained in the field of mechanical engineering with a passion for mechanical building services design. You never shy away from a load calculation or a building assessment, and have the skills to produce quality construction documents including drawings, reports, and any required equipment selection. You enjoy taking on new challenges, but you’re most excited when you can buckle down and get work done. Working as part of a team excites you but you can still be very effective when working independently. You’re not afraid to speak up and ask tough questions, and you pride yourself on your friendly yet direct communication skills. You are looking for an opportunity to work directly with senior leadership – to step up, learn more, and go further in your career.
Does this sound like you? If so, here are some of the more detailed responsibilities you can expect in this position:
- Prepare calculations to size ductwork, gas, HVAC, piping, plumbing and drainage, and incorporate calculations into technical drawings.
- Prepare calculations to size equipment and prepare equipment schedules that are project specific. Coordinate with necessary project consultants to review equipment and ensure that a complete and correct design is achieved.
- Follow good engineering principles, industry standard, as well as company standards to prepare high quality drawings, specifications and reports necessary to deliver a project.
- Design building systems in accordance with the requirements of municipal or provincial building code and other applicable standards.
- Check layouts and services for continuity; developing various mechanical systems layouts in coordination with the structural, architectural, and electrical components of a building.
- Develop layouts and design of mechanical building systems such as heating, ventilation and air conditioning, fire protection systems, plumbing and draining systems, and specialized plumbing systems (natural gas, fuel oil, medical gas, etc.)
- Create project specific details to clarify project scope and create building sections to assist with interference coordination between building systems.
- Respond to both internal and external communication regarding project or design status; report to the principal and/or project manager regarding the design status.
- Liaise with all project consultants; coordinate design requirements with all disciplines and supervise drawings between other disciplines; check layouts of mechanical services for interferences with other components of the building such as structure, ceilings, etc.
- Familiar with structural, architectural, and electrical drawings or models to appreciate space limitations and interferences.
- Design mechanical building systems directly in Revit/CAD; adhering to company BIM/CAD standards.
- Work with clash/coordination reports, assisting with model audits and overall health of the model.
- Liaise with suppliers and/or manufacturers for design support, equipment and component selection.
- Assist with the distribution of work between the internal design team and attend project/technical meetings; where required.
- Assist in construction administration by reviewing equipment shop drawings and conducting site visits, site reviews and preparing change notices, site instructions, etc.
- Any other tasks assigned by Principals or Project Managers required to assist in the completion of projects.
A few more qualifications which will help you with these responsibilities:
- Three or more years of direct industry experience in the field of mechanical building services.
- Diploma/Degree from a mechanical building services/engineering program.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in complex environment often driven by project deadlines.
- Knowledge and experience working with Autodesk Revit 2017 or newer is an asset. Applicant should have exposure to mechanical layouts and systems.
- Working knowledge of Autodesk AutoCAD, AutoCAD MEP, Navisworks Manage, and Dynamo software.
- Knowledge of all Microsoft Office suites, specifically Word and Excel.
- Working knowledge with various mechanical systems such as heating, air conditioning, plumbing systems, etc.
- Familiarity with municipal and provincial codes and authorities.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills.
- Highly innovative and motivated with an attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; able to communicate effectively with both internal and external clients.
- Able to work independently, as well as contribute to the team.
For more information about Smith + Andersen, please visit our website at www.smithandandersen.com.
Appropriate accommodations will be provided to candidates upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process. Successful applicants will be advised of Smith + Andersen’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Smith + Andersen is a trusted Canadian consulting engineering firm with offices in Vancouver, Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, London, Toronto, Ottawa, and Halifax. Founded in 1965, Smith + Andersen has organically grown from an established reputation as trusted mechanical and electrical consultants, reaching new levels of engineering and design excellence in the communications, security and audiovisual fields, and providing enhanced services such as lighting, building automation systems, and intelligent integrated systems design. Thanks to their client-focused approach, Smith + Andersen is able to apply efficient, sustainable, and reliable design and engineering solutions on the most exciting projects across Canada. From fully integrated hospitals and welcoming schools, to healthy workplaces and secure transit stations, their team has established lasting relationships with public and private sector clients across the country.