|Career and Employment Consultant|
Career and Employment Consultant
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $5,176–$6,796 a month
Location : Alberta
Job Requisition ID: 36900
Ministry: Seniors, Community and Social Services
Location: Various Locations (High Level, Peace River, Whitecourt)
Full or Part-Time: Full Time
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Scope: Open Competition
Closing Date: February 16, 2023
Classification: Program Services 3
The Government of Alberta is committed to a diverse and inclusive public service that reflects the population we serve to best meet the needs of Albertans. Consider joining a team where diversity, inclusion and innovation are valued and supported.
The Department of Seniors, Community and Social Services leads income, employment, disabilities and community-based supports, seniors supports, family violence prevention, and family & community support services.
The Delivery Services Division is working to help better connect Albertans to programs and services and to ensure Albertans have access to the right services at the right time through a common front-end experience whether through our contact centers or in-person offices.
To find out more about our work visit:
The Alberta Supports offices are looking for a professional to be a part of a team that works together to reach a common goal of helping build Alberta's workforce in High Level, Whitecourt, and Peace River. If you are a positive and energetic team player and believe in value-based decision making, this may be a good fit for you.
As a Career and Employment Consultant, you will be responsible for the assessment and determination of Income Support benefits. You will be proactive in strengthening the Alberta labour market by guiding and assisting individual Albertans with career and educational planning, as well as supporting individuals with job search activities. By assessing career and employment needs and applying relevant labour market information, you will assist individuals in making informed career choices to enhance their employability, as well as their economic, cultural and social well-being.
As the ideal candidate you will:
- Have Key Skills including: Assessment, crisis intervention, conflict resolution, change management, career transitioning and managing multiple priorities.
- Demonstrate Initiative: Be a self-starter, show flexibility, be eager to learn, constantly look for ways to improve; be reliable and hard working; show ownership for areas of responsibility.
- Build Relationships: Develop and maintain win/win relationships and partnerships; build effective working relationships; network contacts and partnerships with internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
- Communicate: Clearly convey and receive messages to meet needs of all; demonstrate ability to choose a communication style that is appropriate and effective for given situations.
- Make Decisions: Make informed decisions; show an ability to assess options and implications in order to identify solutions.
- Resolve Conflict: Experience and ability to deal with difficult situations in a calm and effective manner.
- Demonstrate Teamwork: Work cooperatively and productively with others to achieve results.
University degree in Social Sciences or related field, plus two years of progressively responsible related experience OR a two-year diploma in Social Sciences or related field plus 4 years of progressively responsible related experience.
Equivalency: Directly related education or experience considered on the basis of:
- 1 year of education for 1 year of experience; or
- 1 year of experience for 1 year of education.
- Current and/or Previous related GOA Experience
- Experience working in social based programs
- Related experience with Income Support, career planning process and labor market information
- Experience with financial analysis or financial calculations
- Experience with Case Management
- Experience working with individuals who face barriers to employment
If you possess any of these assets please outline them in your resume. Please outline your related experience, including any previous Government of Alberta experience, by clearly indicating the length of time in years and months and where the experience was obtained.
Competencies are behaviors that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process. The link below will assist you with understanding competencies:
Below is a list of the APS Competencies to assist you:
- Drive for Results
- Develop Self and Others
- Build Collaborative Environments
- Develop Networks
- Systems Thinking
- Creative Problem Solving
$2,588.06 to 3,397.76 bi-weekly ($67,548 - $88, 681/year)
- Hours of work are 36.25 weekly.
- Positions are available in the following locations – High Level, Peace River, Whitecourt.
- Final candidates will be required to undergo a security screening. The Criminal Record Check will only need to be provided upon request.
What GoA has to offer:
- Working for the Alberta Public Service –
- Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP) –
- Leadership and mentorship programs
- Professional learning and development
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
How To Apply
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system,
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
Resources for applicants:
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
In order to accurately reflect your related experience/education, in our resume, please include your job responsibilities and dates (including months and years) associated with all education and work experience.
In your cover letter, please list only one location that you are applying on.
Please indicate whether your work experience is casual, part-time for full-time.
Example: Receptionist, Jan 2018 – June 2021, Part-time (three 8 hr shifts/week).
For any Post-Secondary Education:
Please specify your major and length of program, the educational institution, and the year you graduated. Example: Bachelor of Commerce, major in Accounting, University of Alberta, 2009.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting, or a copy of the role profile, and/or require a disability related accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact Shakti Saxena at [email protected]
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check