Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Ontario
46231 - Toronto - Regular -
Safety Comes First is a core value at Hydro One, and we remain committed to taking every reasonable precaution to ensure a respectful, safe and healthy working environment. Further to this commitment, we have adopted a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy to protect the health of our employees from the hazard of COVID-19. New employees will be required to declare their vaccination status to Hydro One. Employees who do not provide proof of vaccination status may not enter any 3rd party locations that require full vaccination (e.g. customer properties).
Hydro One is proud to be the largest electricity transmission and distribution provider in Ontario, serving nearly 1.5 million customers. We have a long history in the industry with our roots dating back over 110 years to 1906. Since then, we have worked to grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our customers and communities across Ontario. Today, we’re focused on providing exceptional customer service and ensuring we are building safe communities where we live, work and play.
It’s an exciting time to join the team at Hydro One!
*NOTE* Hydro One introduced a Hybrid Work Pilot Project in 2022 for most office-based roles. Employees work in-office/on-site two days a week and remotely from home for three days a week. Hydro One is adding refreshed workspaces and technology to support these changes. Join us as we ‘trial & learn’ a new modern way of working and be a key driver of future state!
In office but with intention – a time for team and trust building, collaboration, and socialization. Please reach out to us to learn more!
Under general direction and consistent with corporate and divisional procurement policies and procedures, perform the following duties to purchase either a specialized range of products and services for a wide variety of clients and applications in Ontario Hydro, or a wide variety of products and services for specific regions, generating stations or projects. Receive assignments from supervisor or direct from requisitioners where the procurement issues are primarily commercial including assignments for engineered products where the design, technical specifications, regulatory requirements, quality assurance standards and inspection checks are already established, referring to supervisor when unusual situations or problems arise.
- Maintain a knowledge of appropriate vendor capabilities and an awareness of conditions in the market place on assigned goods or services and keep stakeholders informed. Initiate and participate in the development of procurement strategies responsive to requisitioners' requirements and to maintain capable and competitive sources of supply. Examine possibilities for cost savings through alternate sourcing.
- Assist with keeping the potential supplier data base current and in identifying and qualifying additional suppliers. Perform commercial evaluations of potential suppliers and refer technical and financial items to the appropriate specialists for evaluation and qualification.
- Review requisitions and tendering requests for completeness and accuracy. Verify requisitioning authorities and resolve discrepancies. Check technical descriptions and determine if there are regulatory, quality assurance or other special technical requirements and refer to product specialists in the requisitioning units or in the division as required. Check for the availability of standard or surplus material, arranging for transfers as appropriate.
- Liaise with requisitioners and other specialists to investigate possible substitute materials when special supply situations develop.
- Assess procurement options such as requests for quotations or proposals, or for private or public tenders and determine the most appropriate, taking into consideration the requirements of the requisitioner and of the corporation. Review the most recent procurement history available for pricing and sourcing information and determine if bulk or blanket orders already exist or should be initiated. Identify and coordinate the preparation and renewal of bulk and blanket orders and prepare releases where bulk orders exist. Verify sole and only acceptable sources and obtain approvals.
- Gather information for the preparation or review of tendering documents as required, working with requisitioners, technical service personnel and others to obtain all appropriate technical and commercial data. Develop and select the appropriate commercial conditions including leasing terms, progress payments, holdbacks, duty, taxes, escalation, foreign exchange, warranty, delivery, transportation and supply and install provisions. Assess the need for special commercial conditions such as corporate seals, bid securities, labour requirements, financial security or parental guarantees. Ensure that the evaluation criteria for consultants is included and is acceptable. Prepare and issue bid lists and obtain approvals where there are regulatory requirements or changes or ambiguities to technical requirements which require clarification.
- Conduct or participate with supervisor in the negotiation of contracts for approved sole and only acceptable source requirements, and in accordance with established policies and procedures. Prepare and issue letters of invitation for private tender requests. Prepare and arrange for newspaper advertisements for public tender requests. Ensure that capable suppliers are alerted to public tender requests. Coordinate the activities of requisitioners and others in providing clarifications to potential bidders. Arrange, participate in and occasionally conduct pre- and post- tender and site meetings to review commercial aspects of tenders and contracts with vendors, requisitioners and divisional personnel. Issue addenda and extensions as required and keep the requisitioners informed of all changes.
- Participate in the receipt and opening of tenders as required. Issue letters and instructions pertaining to the return of tendering documents and bid deposits. Ensure that the return of late and incomplete tenders and the withdrawal or cancellation of tenders is done in accordance with corporate procedures.
- Perform the commercial evaluation of tenders and quotations including price, domestic content, escalation, foreign exchange, duty, progress payments, labour requirements and financial security. Refer other items such as product acceptability, manufacturing and delivery capability, quality assurance and regulatory qualifications to the requisitioner or the appropriate technical specialists for evaluation. Coordinate the technical and other evaluation activities and the contacts with bidders to clarify ambiguities and to resolve exceptions and correct any errors or omissions. Keep the requisitioner informed during the evaluation and award process as considered necessary.
- Determine the required purchasing authorities and prepare purchase approval documents. For requisitioner prepared funding documents, check for accuracy and completeness and resolve any discrepancies with the requisitioner. Add Supply notes as required and process for approval.
- On receipt of approval, award business to successful bidders using whatever method is most appropriate. Determine the requirement for basic or formal purchase orders or contracts in accordance with established format and guidelines. Where bulk or blanket contracts are involved, establish the format and process and instruct vendors and requisitioners on the procedures they are to follow to ensure all the requirements are met. Assign taxes where applicable and prepare purchase orders to facilitate execution by the supplier and easy administration. Confirm acceptance by the supplier and take action to ensure that any differences are resolved. Negotiate and obtain financial and parental guarantees in accordance with corporate requirements. Advise the unsuccessful bidders in accordance with corporate procedures.
- Perform ongoing administration of assigned contracts. Coordinate and chair or participate with supervisor in award meetings and progress review meetings and identify and ensure the attendance of requisitioners and other special resource people who may be required. Initiate surveillance assignments, where required, by compiling an assignment package or referring to technical service personnel for action. Coordinate and ensure the review and approval of engineering, manufacturing, regulatory, quality assurance and other technical procedures and documentation by specialist staff in the requisitioning and other departments as required. Expedite and provide status information to requisitioners and to other stakeholders as requested, referring unusual problems to supervisor for resolution. Assist with arranging transportation and in resolving problems related to invoice discrepancies, material rejections, lost or damaged goods and quantity and other discrepancies. Review, recommend and approve within designated signing authorities, progress and adjustment payments. Coordinate the negotiation of contract changes after the award. Prepare and process amendment approval documents and instruction notices. Initiate, maintain and verify the completeness and accuracy of quality assurance and other files required for the administration of contracts.
- Operate computerized purchasing and materials management systems to perform the buying function and to access, input and update division and corporate information systems and data bases. Provide assistance to requisitioners, suppliers and other stakeholders in accessing and using related systems and data bases.
- Handle and process, in accordance with regulatory and corporate procedures, restricted documents for the procurement of security related equipment and materials. When requested, assist supervisor to expedite the disposition of delinquent accounts with respect to Ontario Hydro material sold to contractors.
- Within the general context of the job responsibilities, make suggestions to supervisor on how to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the department.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Sourcing and Procurement: Requires 6+ years of procurement experience with various commercial practices (RFx Development and Execution, quotations, sourcing events, proposals, purchases approvals and administration of contracts etc.)
- Strong knowledge of the fundamentals of category management and an exposure to a wide range of categories including equipment, materials, construction services, and services.
- Solid knowledge of contract law, materials forecasting duties and taxes, insurance, foreign exchange and terms of payment would be an asset.
- Knowledge of mathematics and basic financial practices and procedures to perform commercial evaluations, assign taxes and duties.
- Procurement Strategies and Procedures: Understanding Procurement Policies and Procedures, and the nature and interrelation of the division's operations, requisitioning sources, and the vendor community.
- Negotiation: Requires strong negotiating skills to negotiate contracts with suppliers, and in establishing and maintaining good relationships with internal requisitioners and the Supplier community.
- Spot Buying: Ability to service and procure services and products in time sensitive situations
- Customer Service: Ability to respond to customer inquiries and complaints in a constructive manner by taking active steps to address and solve problems.
- Sourcing and Procurement systems / tools: Experience working with (i.e. Ariba Sourcing and Contract Management tools) and Microsoft Office tools including Excel and Word.
- Engineer, Procure, Construct (EPC): contract knowledge
At Hydro One we understand that the success and strength of our business rests with our people. When we develop their skills, we are investing in both their success and ours. To secure the best talent, we seek to create a workforce that reflects the diverse populations of the communities where we live and work and to create a culture based on safety, innovation and inclusiveness.
We are honoured to be recognized by Forbes in its list of Canada’s Best Employers for 2022.
Thank you for considering a career with Hydro One, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. If you are having difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email [email protected] Hydro One will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.
Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.
Deadline: February 20, 2023
In the event you are experiencing difficulties applying to this job please consult our help page here.
Job Segment: Quality Assurance, QA, Buyer, Procurement, Purchasing, Technology, Quality, Operations, Finance