New Job Business Analyst In Ontario
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $86,500–$108,459 a year
Location : Ontario
Job ID: 34980
Job Category: Policy, Planning & Research
Division & Section: Financial Planning, Fin Plng Strat Corp Analysis & Review
Work Location: City Hall, 100 Queen St W, Toronto
Job Type & Duration: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $86,500 - $108,459
Shift Information: M-F, 35 hours/week
Number of Positions Open: 1
Posting Period: 24-Feb-2023 to 10-Mar-2023
Reporting to the Manager, Financial Planning, Strategic Corporate Analysis and Review, the Budget Analyst will compile and analyze citywide budget information to support the preparation, review, analysis, forecasting, implementation and monitoring of budgets and financial reports. This includes providing corporate financial analysis support to the portfolio teams of Financial Planning Division as well as providing technical support to all of the City's Programs/Agencies.
This position performs duties related to the analysis, modelling and process design of operating budgets, in addition to conducting special studies, monitoring and reporting financial and statistical performance measures. The duties include, but are not limited to:
- Prepares complex analysis, including data modelling and dashboard development of budget and actual data.
- Develops complex automated templates for citywide implementation, and provides ongoing technical support to all respective clients.
- Manages complex databases, troubleshooting client's concerns and identifies immediate and long-term solutions.
- Identifies a range of feasible options for operations, policies, technology, information systems and management practices, assessing the implications and viability for each option and recommending changes to improve service delivery using expertise on data analysis techniques in support of decision making.
- Oversees one or more projects associated with business systems or processes.
- Develops options for policies, procedures, business process reviews, management practices and recommends changes to support management functions and improves efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery based on best practices related to data analysis.
- Interviews, documents and facilitates business process, systems and data requirements.
- Effectively communicates business process changes, updates and improvements both orally and in writing to team members and senior management.
- Coordinates and provides support in managing transformational change projects and initiatives with a significant impact on process, people and technology.
- Liaises with and participates in inter-divisional teams and staff working groups, committees and external groups. Prepares business cases, feasibility (including economic, organizational, operational, technical impact) studies, business/functional/technical requirements, training strategies/plans and user documentation.
- Prepares data and statistical reports for the Manager and Executive Director, making recommendations on changes in business methods.
- Provides presentation support and gives presentations as required.
- Conducts analysis and determines key indicators to measure the effectiveness and efficiencies of service delivery methods, including financial, complement and time-based resources to complete, and design processes to track those indicators.
- Conducts financial data analysis for use in business processes and systems, including verifying and validating data quality, developing analytical models and ensuring data integrity through monitoring, maintain and troubleshooting of data related processes and reports.
- Post-secondary education in a relevant discipline (e.g. Data Science, Data Analysis, Data Management, Computer Science, Statistics, Business Intelligence, Business Administration, Business Analysis) or the equivalent combination of education and/or experience in a related field.
- Experience completing research and analysis to determine process efficiencies, service and program effectiveness and make recommendations for improvements.
- Experience assessing, analyzing and evaluating data and statistics; business reporting and synthesizing information from operational systems to produce meaningful reports supporting decision- making.
- Experience in one of the following areas; database, relational data models and creating complex queries, designing and creating user-friendly dashboards for various stakeholders using industry-standard Business Intelligence related data and reporting tools.
- Experience facilitating and communicating analysis results to internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to facilitate sessions to identify current and optimal processes, as well as identifying and gathering business requirements.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and to set priorities, plan and execute tasks.
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office products in order to create databases, reports, spreadsheets, presentations (e.g. Excel and Excel VBA Macros, Access, PowerPoint) as well as relevant application products related to business intelligence, budgeting and financial analysis, including finance software (e.g. SAP).
- Experience conducting research, analysis and interpreting large volumes of data.
- Advanced knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, techniques and practices.
You must also have:
- Strong research and analytical skills and ability to conceptualize and develop options and recommendation solutions to support decision-making.
- General knowledge of the financial principles and practices employed in the effective analysis of business and government operations.
- Knowledge of one or more tools, such as Power BI, Tableau, SQL, or Visual Basic is an asset.
- Familiarity with applicable legislation and City policies, including general understanding of Toronto Public Service mission, values and ethics.
- Demonstrated analytical skills in assessing and reviewing business and service processes to identify options, best practices, and opportunities to improve service delivery to management, employees, and the public.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.