Company : AltaML
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Alberta
“This is not your ordinary finance department! Our incredible team is responsible for accounting (payroll, payables/receivables, financial statements), financial planning (forecasting, budgeting and funding) and projects, plus they have the grit and agility to support our subsidiaries as our product ideas launch into new ventures. This is a team of exceptional people who aren’t afraid to take on new challenges and are willing to mentor colleagues along the way.”
The Accounting Supervisor will work closely with the Controller and one other qualified accountant to ensure the daily operations of our accounting department. You will be responsible for managing various financial processes including financials and bookings, bank reconciliations and accounts receivable/payable. Your ultimate goal would be ensuring accuracy and efficiency in our financial management. In order to succeed in this role, you must have the ability to solve problems and work with other members of our company’s accounting team. This is a dynamic role with responsibilities listed below split between other senior members on the team and will require cross training and cross coverage for career growth and also vacation coverage. We envision the appropriate candidate to start with revenue related or expense related and then alternate responsibilities. This is a great opportunity to learn various finance functions and gain experience in all aspects of business management.
What You'll Do:
- Responsible for reviewing all financial and accounting operations including:
- Accounts receivable, Accounts payable, Project revenue recognition, In-house payroll, Intercompany transactions, Accounting for investments (cost, equity, consolidation methods),
- Monthly close process review - including work in progress, Capital asset depreciation, Unearned revenue, Bank reconciliation, and foreign exchange transactions, Consolidation of entities including JV’s / Account reconciliations
Manage staff as required while helping in their career development
- Analyze financial data to ensure accuracy and compliance with Accounting Standards for Private Enterprises. Support as required with US GAAP for our US subsidiary.
- Develop and maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Liaise with external auditors and provide audit support as required
- Determination of appropriate sales tax rates, and completion of government remittances
- Foreign exchange transactions, and support with future hedging opportunities
- Assist with financial data and grant financing applications and reporting
- Assist with compilation of monthly financial reporting, including budget-to-actual and financial statement variance analysis, as required
- Work with various business units on projects (financial modeling / FP&A/ system implementations, efficiency initiatives) as required
What You Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or a related field.
- 4-5 years of experience in an accounting role. Public accounting experience or Tech industry experience is desirable.
- Sound knowledge of Accounting Standards for Private Enterprises and/or International Financial Reporting Standards. US GAAP knowledge helpful
- Strong problem solving, and analytical skills. Individual will be responsible for certain financial functions and is expected to manage these responsibilities and escalate when assistance is needed.
- Willingness to work in a hybrid environment with staff located in Edmonton and Toronto.
- Work life balance is encouraged but there will be times during month end or year end where extra hours will be required to close the books or complete the audit.
- Must be detailed oriented with strong time management skills in order to deliver on deadlines
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Excel and an enterprise level accounting software
- Experience working with a fast paced scale-up environment or flexibility to manage multiple priorities (month end close, projects, adhoc requests)
Nice to Have's:
- Experience with NetSuite, Google Suite, and Scientific Research and Experimental Development tax credits
- CPA designation (or in progress) is desirable
First Nations Acknowledgment
As this role is an opportunity in Calgary, Alberta - AltaML would like the opportunity to acknowledge the traditional territories of the Niitsitapi (Blackfoot) and the people of the Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta, which includes the Siksika, the Piikuni, the Kainai, the Tsuut’ina and the Stoney Nakoda First Nations, including Chiniki, Bearpaw, and Wesley First Nations. The City of Calgary is also home to Métis Nation of Alberta, Region III.
AltaML is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a safe, diverse and inclusive environment. We encourage qualified applicants of all backgrounds including ethnicity, religion, disability status, gender identity, sexual orientation, family status, age, nationality, and education levels to apply. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation during the interviewing process, please let us know.