New Job Sr Bus Intelligence Analyst In Alberta
|Sr Bus Intelligence Analyst|
Sr Bus Intelligence Analyst
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Alberta
Job Requisition ID: 36032
Ministry: Alberta Education
Full or Part-Time: Full Time
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Regular/Temporary: Temporary (Until March 31, 2024)
Scope: Open Competition
Closing Date: February 10, 2023
Classification: Opted Out & Excluded System Analyst Level 3
Alberta Education supports students, parents, teachers and administrators from Early Childhood Services (ECS) through Grade 12. Share your talent, your leadership and your success as you shape the future of education in Alberta. The Ministry provides funding to over 300 provincial school authorities for ECS to Grade 12, within the Financial Services and Capital Planning Division.
Through safe and caring schools for all students, Alberta’s government is making life better by investing in education – one of the most important investments we can make in our future. The Ministry has the following responsibilities: develop curriculum and set standards; evaluate curriculum and assess outcomes; teacher development and certification; support students with diverse learning needs; fund and support school boards; First Nations, Métis and Inuit and Francophone education; and oversees basic education policy and regulations.
You will perform all work in accordance with relevant Government and Ministry legislation, policies, and guidelines. In addition, this position will flexible and responsive analytical capacity for the department, in collaboration with business and program areas across the division and Ministry.
Reporting to the Team Lead, Funding Analysis and Analytics Branch, the Senior Business Intelligence Analyst works in a team environment and within the parameters of relevant legislation; Ministry and government policies, guidelines, and business practices; and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) to complete timely and accurate school authority budget allocation and profiles. These documents and projections are critical inputs to Executive Team decision-making and support the coordination, compilation, and consolidation of Ministry budget and financial submissions to Alberta Treasury Board and Finance.
The Senior Business Intelligence Analyst handles the following responsibilities:
- Plans and forecasts a funding model to help identify funding framework implications, and grant rates
- Analyses demographic and financial data to determine trends, risks, and opportunities
- Develops and maintains processes and systems to track spending to ensure expenditure targets are not exceeded
- Develops, coordinates and prepares the annual school authority funding framework allocations, as well as working with Strategic Financial Services for the quarterly and monthly expenditure forecast submissions relative to the Operating Support for School Jurisdictions; Accredited Private Schools and Early Childhood Service Operators; and the three-year Business Plan
- Collects, analyzes, and prepares financial data and contributes to development and refinement of funding framework for input to decision-making by the Executive Team, Deputy Minister, and Minister
- Interprets government and Ministry financial reporting guidelines for Ministry representatives and develops financial reports and recommendations to assist senior and executive managers in making informed decisions
- Performs ad-hoc and time sensitive analyses requested from the Minister, Deputy Minister and senior management requiring knowledge of the education system and creative and complex analytical skills
- Monitors activities to ensure the program is responsive to the needs of the stakeholders and provides complete and timely information to the departmental officials, school and jurisdiction administrators and the public
- Analyzes, designs, constructs, and documents business intelligence solutions using appropriate tools
- Designs and conducts appropriate statistical data analysis to support departmental initiatives and projects, and for forecasting student population and teacher workforce
- Represents Analytics Branch on Ministry and cross-government working groups, committees, and initiatives as required
- Participates in enterprise architectural activities to develop and maintain Ministry Business Intelligence architectural vision, architectural design and standards
University graduation in Economics, Statistics/Mathematics, Computer Science or a related discipline plus four years related experience; or equivalent as described below.
Equivalency: A related two-year diploma in computer technology or a related discipline from a recognized postsecondary institution and six years related experience; or a related one-year certificate from a recognized postsecondary institution and seven years related experience.
- Business intelligence and reporting technologies and software, relational databases, and front-end query tools used in the Ministry
- Ministry and Government policies and standards relating to relevant information technology applications and security
- Proficiency in business intelligence tools and SQL for data analysis
- Knowledge of advanced technical skills to extract, analyze and format information
- Knowledge of data collected and stored in all Alberta Education information systems, including the Corporate Data Warehouse
- Knowledge of data analysis and data modeling
- Experience designing and developing business intelligence and reporting products to meet the information requirements of clients is a definite asset
Competencies are behaviors that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process.
The link below will assist you with understanding competencies:
In this role, you will contribute to our team by demonstrating the following behavioral competencies:
- Agility- You will possess an ability to create an adaptable environment and overcome barriers through proactive and flexible approach to work.
- Creative Problem Solving- You will facilitate the creation of a work environment for generating and finding newer ideas to solve existing and potential problems.
- Develop Networks- You develop and sustain a network of relationships across the division, other GOA ministries, and external stakeholders on issues and work with other branches to develop effective communication channels to enhance and maximize the effectiveness of interactions.
- Building Collaborative Work Environments- You will lead cross functional collaboration and initiate strategic communication systems to anticipate and address potential conflict and builds and atmosphere of genuine trust and teamwork
- Systems Thinking-You consider the impact of strategies and changes on the work of clients, stakeholders, and team members and support organization vision and goals through strategic planning of tasks and considering relationships between different work approaches and their impact on different programs, divisions and ministries
$3,060.39 to $4,053.60 biweekly ($79,876 - $105,798/year)
This is one (1) temporary, full-time position working 36.25 hours per week, Monday to Friday.
This position is based in Edmonton. We require you to attach a Cover Letter with your application explaining your qualification and suitability for this role.
The final candidate for this position will be asked to undergo pre-employment checks (including a criminal record check).
What we offer:
- Working for the Alberta Public Service –
- Comprehensive benefits plan:
- Pension plan:
- Health Spending Account:
- Leadership and mentorship programs
- Professional learning and development
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
- Opportunity to participate in flexible work arrangements such as working from home up to two days per week and modified work schedule agreements
- Research Alberta Public Service Careers tool –
How To Apply
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system,
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
Resources for applicants:
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the role profile, and/or require a disability related accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact Roopali Mane at [email protected].
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check