|Special Purpose Accounting Assistant|
Special Purpose Accounting Assistant
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $28.13–$35.30 an hour
Location : Alberta
The citizens of the City of Edmonton depend upon the financial integrity that can only be provided by our finance and accounting professionals. Working within a dynamic department, you will have the chance to offer financial services to both internal and external clients. Use your talents to ensure a financially responsible City for today—and for years to come.
As the Special Purpose Accounting Assistant, you will maintain the Grants in Lieu (GIL) accounts to ensure GIL is billed accurately and collected in a timely fashion from various levels of government, as well as local improvement charges.
With a focus on the City of Edmonton’s Cultural Commitments of Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Integrated and Excellent, you will:
- Prepare the annual application for payment of grants-in-lieu of taxes, totalling approximately $40M, that is submitted to federal and provincial governments and crown corporations
- Audit computer generated billing listings and balance to the general ledger
- Prepare and maintain spreadsheets summarizing grant billings, account adjustments and payments according to the grant payor
- Allocate payments and monitor outstanding accounts
- Prepare monthly and year-end grant revenue reconciliations
- Research and allocate local improvement levies based on construction costs provided by servicing departments and unit rate bylaws
- Maintain tracking spreadsheet of annual work orders to ensure all approvals are recorded and new charges are processed to the respective accounts according to department and year-end accounting deadlines
- Assist in the reallocation of local improvement charges due to subdivision or consolidation of property
- Research and allocate local improvement payouts in the local improvements suspense account using TACS, SAP, APERTA and iNovah
- Investigate and correct misapplied payments
- Prepare adjusting entries to property tax accounts and issue appropriate notifications to property owners
- Monitor for payment and make adjustments to penalty and interest as required
- Prepare accounting entries for tax recovery property accounts with respect to sale proceeds
- Research, calculate and prepare manual adjustments to prorate taxes, local improvements and other charges upon sale of tax forfeiture properties
- Provide assistance to other taxation areas during peak periods and perform other related duties as assigned
- Completion of a recognized accounting certificate
- One (1) year of experience in an office environment and demonstrated competency in the use of spreadsheet and word processing applications
- High level of accuracy is required in preparing and processing entries to tax roll accounts and general ledger accounts
- Organizational ability is required to meet various weekly, monthly and annual deadlines for accounting entries, billing, and adjustments and to meet standards for monthly reporting and correspondence
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required to deal effectively with staff, representatives of other levels of government and the general public
- Competency in the use of Microsoft Word and Excel, and Google applications
- Hire is dependent upon a Police Information Check satisfactory to the City of Edmonton
- Demonstrate service excellence, embracing diversity and promoting inclusiveness
- Demonstrate alignment with the Cultural Commitments of Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Integrated and Excellent, fostering an environment for others to do the same. For more information on the City’s Cultural Commitments, please visit edmonton.ca/our-culture
- Demonstrate the foundational competencies, key behaviors and attributes of the City’s six leadership competencies: Courage, Inclusivity, Values-Based Influencer, Collaborative Networker, Systems Thinker and Creative Innovator. For more information on the City’s leadership competencies, please visit edmonton.ca/our-culture
- Applicants may be tested
The City of Edmonton is committed to inclusive, respectful and equitable workplaces that represent the communities we serve. We continuously improve our systems, policies and practices to remove barriers and ensure our employees, in all their diversity, can succeed. We value applicants with a diverse range of skills, experiences and competencies, and encourage you to apply. To learn more, see the Art of Inclusion: Our Diversity and Inclusion Framework here: https://bit.ly/3hd2d95.
The City of Edmonton strives to provide reasonable access and accommodations throughout the application and selection process. If you would like to request an accommodation at any stage of the process, please contact [email protected]
COVID-19 Notice: The City of Edmonton has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Employees who cannot be fully vaccinated on the basis of a protected legal ground (e.g. medical, religious) may request an exemption. Please note that this policy applies to all employees, including new hires and volunteers. If your application is successful, you will be asked to provide proof of vaccination or request an exemption.
For more information, please refer to our COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (bit.ly/3lKwb6j) and COVID-19 Vaccination Procedure (bit.ly/39BICMt).
Up to one (1) permanent full time position
Hours of Work: 33.75 hours per week, Monday to Friday
The weekly hours of work for this position are currently under review and may change at a future time. Any changes will be made in accordance with the City of Edmonton and Civic Service Union 52 collective agreement and the incumbent will be notified in advance.
Salary: $28.125 - $35.296 (Hourly) ; $49,549.220 - $62,182.730 (Annually)
Talent Acquisition Consultant: RM/SG