New Job Records Clerk (Summer Student) In Nova Scotia
|Records Clerk (Summer Student)|
Records Clerk (Summer Student)
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $16.75–$27.30 an hour
Location : Nova Scotia
Department: Labour, Skills and Immigration
Type of Employment: Student
Union Status: Exclusion - Non Union - NSPG
Closing Date: 2/17/2023 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
The Department of Labour, Skills and Immigration (LSI) works to provide fairness, safety, and prosperity for all Nova Scotians by helping them live, learn, and work to their highest potential. We have a staff of more than 500 employees working from offices throughout Nova Scotia. Together we are responsible for safety, labour standards, apprenticeship, immigration and population growth, and many other facets of everyday life. Working in a wide range of services, we provide a rich and supportive learning experience to all our summer students.
About Our Opportunity
The Professional Services Division requires a student for the summer of 2023. Working closely with the department’s Records Analyst and records staff in a centralized records office, the student will gain practical experience and knowledge of working in a provincial government records management environment.
Under supervision of the Records Analyst, as the summer student your responsibilities will include:
- Accurately enter data on records into the department’s records management system, FileNet. Checks work to ensure complete and accurate to minimize errors and duplication of work.
- Classify government records according to the approved records retention schedules, STAR/STOR.
- Inventory and prepare records for off-site storage at the Provincial Records Centre and/or final disposition (destruction).
- Search and retrieve files for departmental staff on request and returns files to the system upon return.
- Organize historical government records in preparation for transfer to the provincial archives.
- Use scanning equipment to digitize labour agreements and arbitration decisions. Uploads documents to FileNet Content Navigator.
- Complete other inventory or process improvement tasks as required.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate is currently enrolled in a records management, archival or library program, and returning to school in the fall. Students enrolled in other post-secondary programs are also encouraged to apply. Candidates should possess a high level of accuracy and attention to detail, display strong organizational and analytical skills, and be able to work independently as well as part of a team. Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat Pro, and database programs is required.
Knowledge of online meeting platforms such as MS Teams and Zoom is also an asset.
- Normal work week is 35 hours/week, 7 hours/day.
- You must be able to lift boxes of documents weighing up to 25 lbs.
This opportunity will start approximately May 1, 2023 with an end date of September 1, 2023.
This position is based out of Maritime Centre at 1505 Barrington Street, Halifax.
What We Offer
- Career Development where you have access to career guidance, tools, resources, and ongoing training for every stage of your career.
- Engaging workplace: our employees feel valued, respected, connected, and tuned in, we have forward-thinking policies and strategies.
- Numerous career paths.
Salary Range: $16.75 - $27.30 Hourly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
Current government employees may access this posting through the link below:
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to [email protected].