New Job Paralegal I In Alberta
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $35.30–$44.34 an hour
Location : Alberta
Are you a motivated Paralegal with solid experience in General Litigation? Interested in taking your career to the next level? Legal Services is looking for a seasoned professional with demonstrated leadership skills to support litigation work involving major construction projects.
Reporting to the Paralegal Supervisor, this position will:
- Draft court documents for filing in all levels of Court
- Analyze pleadings to determine issues involved, locate records and make preliminary decisions on relevancy, producibility and privilege in legal proceedings with a construction focus
- Leverage electronic litigation support software to prepare document production
- Draft, review and process various legal documents with a solid understanding of legal rules and requirements
- Prepare supporting materials for questionings, hearings, alternative dispute processes, court or statutory steps by investigating facts and relevant precedents
- Provide legal research support using tools such as Westlaw, Canlii and other online resources
- Review and prepare documents for questionings, hearings, court, or to go before Council
- Attend questionings, hearings or other proceedings for Paralegal support
- Maintain records, update databases and track file status pursuant to applicable file management protocols
- Liaise with City departments and other partners to obtain relevant and material documentation
- Assist in training of Counsel and other team members as needed on the City’s litigation support software tool
- Additional related duties as assigned
- Completed 2 year Legal Assistant or Paralegal Diploma
- A minimum 3 years progressively responsible legal experience in the area of Litigation (Construction Litigation is an asset)
- Experience in researching and assembling legal documents and large document productions
- Public sector experience is an asset
- Strong knowledge of procedures/practices in all levels of Court
- Experience with legal research tools such as Westlaw and CanLii
- Strong working knowledge of litigation support software tools such as Summation, Eclipse or other comparable and transferable litigation tools
- Experience and proficiency working with the Microsoft Office Suite and Google products such as Gmail, Drive and Sheets
- Strong analytical, communication (verbal & written) and interpersonal skills with a customer service focus
- Well developed organizational skills to meet deadlines, conflict management skills, initiative and the ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Demonstrate alignment with the Cultural Commitments of Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Integrated and Excellent, fostering an environment for others to do the same. For more information on the City’s Cultural Commitments, please visit edmonton.ca/our-culture
- Demonstrate the foundational competencies, key behaviours and attributes of the City’s six leadership competencies: Courage, Inclusivity, Values-Based Influencer, Collaborative Networker, Systems Thinker and Creative Innovator. For more information on the City’s leadership competencies, please visit edmonton.ca/our-culture
- Hire is dependent upon a Police Information Check satisfactory to the City of Edmonton
- Applicants may be tested
The City of Edmonton is committed to inclusive, respectful and equitable workplaces that represent the communities we serve. We continuously improve our systems, policies and practices to remove barriers and ensure our employees, in all their diversity, can succeed. We value applicants with a diverse range of skills, experiences and competencies, and encourage you to apply. To learn more, see the Art of Inclusion: Our Diversity and Inclusion Framework here: https://bit.ly/3hd2d95.
The City of Edmonton strives to provide reasonable access and accommodations throughout the application and selection process. If you would like to request an accommodation at any stage of the process, please contact [email protected].
COVID-19 Notice: The City of Edmonton has implemented a COVID 19-Vaccination Policy. Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Employees who cannot be fully vaccinated on the basis of a protected legal ground (e.g. medical, religious) may request an exemption. Please note that this policy applies to all employees, including new hires, and volunteers. If your application is successful, you will be asked to provide proof of vaccination or request an exemption.
For more information, please refer to our COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (bit.ly/3lKwb6j) and COVID-19 Vaccination Procedure (bit.ly/39BICMt).
1 Permanent full-time position
Hours of Work: 33.75 hours per week
The weekly hours of work for this position are currently under review and may change at a future time. Any changes will be made in accordance with the City of Edmonton/Civic Service Union 52 collective agreement and the incumbent will be notified in advance.
Salary: $35.296 - $44.339 (Hourly); 62,182.730 - 78,114.230 (Annually)
Talent Acquisition Consultant: RD/MZ