New Job Medical Examiner Investigator In Alberta
|Medical Examiner Investigator
Medical Examiner Investigator
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $6,062–$7,711 a month
Location : Alberta
Job Requisition ID: 37422
two (2) temporary salaried positions - expected end date of November 2024
(This competition could be used to fill all current or future vacancies within the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in both locations Edmonton or Calgary)
Full or Part-Time: Full-time
Hours of Work: 38.75 hours per week
Closing Date: January 16, 2023
Classification: Subsidiary 06B1 3875 Medical and Health 2
The Ministry of Alberta Justice helps ensure that all Albertans can live in safe and resilient communities while having access to a fair and innovative justice system. Working alongside its partners in law enforcement, family justice, health, the judiciary, criminal justice system and other stakeholders, the ministry has a direct or shared responsibility in all elements of the justice system in Alberta. To follow this link find out more about our department
The staff members of the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner are committed to the provision of high quality services to Albertans. Activities performed enable the Office to certify the cause and manner of death in accordance with the Fatalities Inquiries Act; provide forensic service, assist in educating Albertans in time of grief; and develop and maintain a center of excellence in forensic pathology and toxicology.
Information regarding the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner can be found by visiting our website at:
Do you possess strong knowledge of anatomy and physiology and have a knack for investigative work? Do you have strong communication skills, are comfortable working with grieving families, stakeholders including medical professionals, police, and first responders in a challenging and demanding environment. Are you looking for an opportunity to join the OCME investigations team and utilize these skills? If so, we invite you to join the Edmonton OCME within the Justice Services Division.
This would be your opportunity to use your excellent investigative and interpersonal skills. The role is responsible for conducting investigations into sudden and/or unexplained deaths to assist in the determination of cause and manner of death. Investigator teams are required to be available on a 24/7/365 basis to serve the needs of the province. Shift work is mandatory in this setting.
- Conducting investigations into sudden or unexplained deaths to assist determining cause and manner of death by providing accurate information to OCME medical examiners and acting as an information relay for next of kin and interested parties.
- Assisting medical doctors across the province in completion of death certificates, triaging case work and potentially refusing case referrals independently in accordance with the Fatality Inquiries Act.
- Case management of files; which includes, researching, collecting and documenting medical, circumstantial and death scene information regarding the deceased and providing it to the attending Medical Examiner.
- Coordinating death scene processing through guidance of police officers and arranging for body removal and transportation services as required.
- Attending the scene of death if required; this involves examining and photographing the body and scene and coordinating with police and emergency services, along with speaking to next of kin (NOK).
- Assisting OCME medical examiners with the process of identification of decedents through liaising with stakeholders accordingly.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong team player with high emotional intelligence
- Exceptional analysis and problem solving skills
- Strong attention to detail, time management, and with the ability to prioritize the workload appropriately.
- Process driven with an ability to embrace change in a dynamic and fast paced environment
- Strong medical knowledge and terminology
- Knowledge of Fatality Inquiries Act, Vital Statistics Act, and Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
- An ability to interact with a diverse group of stakeholders
- Ability to successfully work and thrive in a high impact environment with daily exposure to emotionally taxing situations of sudden violent death e.g. suicides, accidents, homicides and unexpected child deaths. Regular interaction with bodies in varying states of decay is commonplace and the applicant needs to be comfortable and functional in these settings.
University degree or diploma in a related field (e.g. Nursing, Bio-Medical Sciences, Anatomy, etc.) supplemented by a minimum of one (1) year of related experience (for example in emergency, critical care medicine or investigative work)
- Cover letter - Please outline how your experience as it relates to the qualifications in detail in your cover letter. Your written ability will be assessed through your cover letter. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook and Excel)
- Previous death investigation
- Investigative experience
- Case management experience
- Biological/medical occupation experience
- Experience interpreting applicable legislations: Fatality Inquiries Act, Vital Statistic’s Act, and Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP)
Competencies are behaviours that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process. The link below will assist you with understanding competencies:
$3,030.81 to $3,855.67 bi-weekly
($79,104 - $100,632 /year)
These positions need to provide an overarching availability on a 24/7/365 basis, through shift work (38.75 hours/week) and on-call duties in Calgary or Edmonton, Alberta.
Travel is a requirement of the role and therefore a valid class 5 driver's license is required.
Final candidates for this position will be asked to undergo a Security Screening.
What we offer:
- Working for the Alberta Public Service –
- Comprehensive benefits plan:
- Pension plan: Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP) –
- Health Spending Account:
- Leadership and mentorship programs
- Professional learning and development
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
- Research Alberta Public Service Careers tool –
This competition may be used to fill current and future vacancies within Government of Alberta.
The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner has two locations and this competition may be used to fill future vacancies in either location Edmonton or Calgary. (Permanent, Temporary Salaried or Wage)
Please outline how your experience as it relates to the qualifications in detail in your cover letter. Your written ability will be assessed through your cover letter. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
How To Apply
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system,
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
Resources for applicants:
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the role profile, and/or require a disability related accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact Katelynn Kelly at [email protected].
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check