New Job Manager, Financial Operations In Nunavut
|Manager, Financial Operations|
Manager, Financial Operations
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $113,764–$129,128 a year
Location : Nunavut
This employment opportunity is restricted to residents of Iqaluit only.
Reporting to the Director, Financial Operations, the Manager, Financial Operations (Manager) is responsible for ensuring efficient processes and adequate controls are in place for the administration of financial processes across Government of Nunavut (GN) departments, in compliance with the Financial Administration Act (FAA), Financial Administration Manual (FAM) and other relevant acts, regulations and policies impacting financial transactions. The Manager ensures effective administration and control of transaction processing, including payment authority for various programs in the Departments of Finance, Health, and Family Services. The incumbent will have regular contact with GN program and financial managers on all financial matters administered by the Department of Finance. The Manager impacts the people of Nunavut by making recommendations to the Director regarding service delivery improvements that directly affect GN staff and members of the public.
The Manager, Financial Operations (Manager) leads a team consisting of Finance Officers, Senior Finance Officers, and a Supervisor, Accounts Payable. The Manager provides leadership and direction to five staff responsible for the administration of financial controls and payment authority over various program expenditures for multiple departments. The Manager will also be responsible for effectively leading staff in the administration of duty travel and employee medical travel assistance claims. The incumbent will be responsible for developing, recommending, and implementing financial operations policies, procedures, and controls to ensure compliance with the FAA and the FAM. The Manager has regular contact with the Director and will make recommendations to the Director regarding improvements to financial processes, workflows, workloads and internal controls impacting the GN.
The knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this job are usually obtained through a recognized undergraduate degree in commerce with a major in accounting or a degree in a related field, plus three (3) years of financial management experience. Two years of supervisory experience, preferably in a unionized environment including the ability to plan, prioritize and direct the work of staff is also required. A Canadian professional accounting designation is an asset.
The Official Languages of Nunavut are Inuktut, English and French. Applicants may submit their resume in any of the official languages of Nunavut. Fluency in more than one of Nunavut’s official languages would be considered an asset. Knowledge of Inuit communities, culture, land, Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit, Inuktut and experience working in a northern cross-cultural environment are also considered assets.
Acceptable combinations of education and experience may be considered for this position. We encourage you to apply if you have equivalent years of education and/or experience equal to the education and experience requirements listed above.
An eligibility list may be created to fill future vacancies.
If you are interested in applying for this job, please email your cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Please include the REFERENCE # in the subject line of your email.
- The Government of Nunavut is committed to creating a representative workforce; therefore, priority will be given to Nunavut Inuit who self-identify as being enrolled under the Nunavut Agreement in accordance with the Priority Hiring Policy.
- Government of Nunavut employees serving a probationary period must obtain and provide written authorization from the deputy head of their employing department. The authorization from the deputy head must accompany your application for your application to be considered.
- Possession of a criminal record may not disqualify candidates from being considered. An assessment of the criminal record will be measured against the scope and duties of the position. This is only a requirement for positions that require a satisfactory criminal record or vulnerable sector check.
- Applicants may submit their resume in any of the Official Languages of Nunavut.
- Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- The onus is on candidates in receipt of foreign post-secondary education credentials to have their foreign credentials assessed through a recognized Canadian education institution. Failure to do so may result in the rejection of their application.
Department of Human Resources (Iqaluit)
Government of Nunavut
P.O. Box 1000, Station 430 Iqaluit, Nunavut X0A 0H0
Toll Free: 1-888-668-9993
Email: [email protected]