New Job Manager Digital Services In British Columbia
|Manager Digital Services|
Manager Digital Services
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : Details not provided
Location : British Columbia
Requisition ID: 37744
Company: Vancouver Public Library
Worksite: Digital Services
The Vancouver Public Library (VPL) is the third largest public library system in Canada, with 800 staff members offering services at 21 branches across the city. VPL values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly service. Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive, and rewarding workplace.
Vancouver Public Library (VPL) is seeking a dynamic, strategic, and creative leader to join its management team. Reporting to the Director, IT & Collections, you oversee the library’s website and digital collections and the delivery of services via the web, as well as the planning and evaluation activities related to these areas, and are responsible for managing the Digital Services department of 15 FTE staff. You will play a leadership role in the library as part of the management team, planning and delivering library services and contributing to and delivering the library’s digital strategy.
You will engage patrons, non-library users, stakeholders and employees, proactively seeking input to inform decision-making; initiate and develop relationships with internal and external stakeholders; work strategically to anticipate issues; manage cost and risk; identify and leverage opportunities; and monitor external trends.
In collaboration with other managers, you will coordinate system-wide delivery of digital services, planning and overseeing public facing websites and web services, as well as ensuring that the public are supported in their use of digital collections and library web-based services. You will oversee the selection, licensing, management and discovery of the library’s digital collections including ebooks and over sixty subscription electronic resources.
As a member of the VPL management team, you will act as a resource to library staff on issues related to library web services, subscription electronic resources and digital content, including online engagement and emerging uses of technology for delivering library service. You will implement the Library’s strategic priorities and contribute to the development and advancement of system-wide initiatives and goals, as well as workforce planning and labour relations activities.
This position requires outstanding collaboration and communication skills, thorough knowledge of current trends and industry best practices in the use of technology in library public service, collegial decision-making and interest-based problem-solving skills, flexibility, strategic thinking, and the ability to manage multiple and competing priorities. Excellent leadership and project management skills and a demonstrated ability to develop positive working relationships and thrive in a cooperative environment are vital to this position.
Education and Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited library school.
- Post-secondary courses in management studies.
- Five years recent relevant experience, including a minimum of three years’ experience in a supervisory position; demonstrated leadership and managerial skills.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of current trends and industry best practices in areas of responsibility.
- Current knowledge of library service, administration and management. Strong commitment to serving clients; open, pragmatic and responsive to clients and community.
- Demonstrated ability to manage the delivery of library services and to effectively manage multiple projects and priorities at the same time.
- Demonstrated record of achieving strategic outcomes in a timely manner.
- Ability to be innovative and flexible in a rapidly changing library environment, and to assist staff to participate in and be open to change.
- Demonstrated level of professionalism and confidentiality with strong ethics.
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written.
- Excellent conflict management and problem solving skills; demonstrated business negotiation skills.
- Knowledge of financial management methods including program costing, budget forecasting and monitoring of expenses.
- Proficient with programs including Microsoft Office, library technology such as integrated library systems and public interfaces.
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Salary: $102,256 to $127,830 per year
Schedule: 37.5 hours/week, 8:30am – 5:00pm
Note: Work schedules may change with reasonable notice.
Closing date: Resume review will begin January 30th, however the position will remain open for applications until filled.
While the Library thanks you in advance, only those candidates being considered will be contacted.
Vancouver Public Library is committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds including Indigenous Peoples, LGBTQ+, all genders, ethnicities, and persons with disabilities. Should you be shortlisted and require an accommodation during the selection process, please provide details to the hiring committee.
Applicants must be prepared to work at any location in the VPL system. As VPL is responsible for the well-being of its patrons, a Police Information Check clearance is a condition of employment. All Vancouver Public Library employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire and ongoing employment. Candidates who are not able to obtain a COVID-19 vaccine for a reason related to a Human Rights Code ground (such as disability) can request an accommodation at any time during the recruitment process. Please refer to our policy for further information. Personal information collected is used in accordance with the BC Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.