New Job Licensing Officer In Alberta
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $4,956–$6,414 a month
Location : Alberta
Job Requisition ID: 36684
Ministry: Children's Services
Location: Edmonton, AB
Full or Part-Time: Full Time
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Scope: Open Competition
Closing Date: February 13, 2023
Classification: Human Services Worker 4
The Government of Alberta is committed to a diverse and inclusive public service that reflects the population we serve to best meet the needs of Albertans. Consider joining a team where diversity, inclusion and innovation are valued and supported.
A successful society is defined by its people and the opportunities available for them to participate fully and actively in all aspects of life and or their families. The Ministry of Children’s Services focuses on early intervention, child development and delivering supports and services to children, youth and families. It works to ensure that children in Alberta have the tools they need to thrive in healthy families and communities. You can be part of helping us make a difference!
To find out more about our work visit:
Are you passionate about Early Childhood Education and Development? If so, we have an opportunity for you! The Child Care and Youth Services Division is currently seeking multiple Licensing Officers to join their team in Edmonton area.
Using a strength-based approach, as a Licensing Officer you will license and monitor childcare programs, enforcing the Early Learning Child Care Act & Regulations, in the province of Alberta. You will be responsible for determining compliance pertaining to the administration and operation of Facility-based Programs such as Day Cares, Out of School Cares, Preschools, Group Family Child Care, and Innovative Child Care. You will also use your expertise to determine compliance for the Alberta Family Day Home Standards for Contracted Family Day Home Agencies and approved Family Day Home Providers as well.
Putting your well-honed assessment skills to the test you will use your knowledge and critical thinking skills to make recommendations regarding licenses and determine enforcement actions for facilities while working with considerable independence.
Strong communicator, engagement specialist, organizer and coaching are the key attributes to your success in this role. Your days will be spent consulting and sharing your in-depth knowledge of Early Childhood Development with programs to educate on the purpose and intent of government legislation and policies to provide inclusive, quality childcare to Albertans. Your collaborative approach and creative problem-solving skills will be valuable as you work alongside programs, stakeholders and colleagues to build a strong childcare community.
If this opportunity sounds like you, do not hesitate to apply!
- Related university degree in Early Childhood Education or related human service field and 2 years related experience in an early childhood setting in a leadership/supervisory role is required.
- Clearly outlined knowledge of Early Childhood Development, the Early Learning and Child Care Act, Child Care Licensing Regulation and the Alberta Family Day Home Standards.
- Excellent writing and documentation skills are critical to the role (written skills will be assessed as part of the screening)
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of community resources
- An awareness of diversity, inclusion and multiculturalism.
Equivalencies will be considered as follows - related diploma and 3 years related experience; OR related certificate and 4 years related experience.
Competencies are behaviors that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process.
This link will assist you with understanding competencies:
Agility: The manager supports a diverse team that works directly with community agencies and will be required to support their team to engage positively in change management. The FRN program can shift based on direction of Minister's Office - which requires ability to work quickly and proficiently to meet needs while supporting agencies to understand the change.
Drive for Results: The manager works with their team to support the successful implementation of the FRN program while considering the current fiscal and human resourcing constraints. Working with 136 community agencies requires an awareness to the realities faced by agencies and supports them to achieve the outcomes of the program.
Build Collaborative Environments: The manager will work with their team and community agencies to support ministry objectives - requires ability to listen and address concerns and advocate in an appropriate manner.
Systems Thinking: Analysis in this role requires examining alignment to ministry and Government priorities; requires analyzing potential short, medium and long term impacts of potential program needs and how to support operational needs and the needs of community agencies.
Creative Problem Solving: Role would be contributing to creative solutions to ensure success given time and process constraints; requires analysis that incorporates differing perspectives.
$2,477.76 – $3,206.96 bi-weekly ($64,669 - $ 83,701/year)
- Hours of work are Monday to Friday – 36.25 hours per week.
- The successful candidate is expected to be located in Edmonton offices.
- You carry a valid Class 5 Driver's License and access to a reliable vehicle.
- Flexibility to travel within assigned location and surrounding areas is required.
- Successful applicants who possess a BSW, MSW, or Diploma in Social Work from an Alberta College will be required to maintain registration with the Alberta College of Social Workers.
- The final candidate for this position will undergo an academic check, intervention record check and provide a suitable security screening. We will accept Criminal Records Check (CRC) that includes Vulnerable Sector that have been completed within the last 6 months.
- As part of the application process, you are required to: Complete all pre-screen questions
- A cover letter outlining why you are applying to this role and how your experience relates to the qualifications is required.
- Not providing or completing any of the above requirements will result in a delay of your application proceeding further.
Links and information on what the GoA have to offer to prospective employees:
- Working for the Alberta Public Service –
- Pension plans:
- Management Employees Pension Plan (MEPP) –
- Leadership and mentorship programs
- Professional learning and development
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
How To Apply
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system,
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
Resources for applicants:
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the role profile, and/or require a disability related accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact Dawn Bradbury at [email protected]
If this competition closes as per the date noted above, please continue to check