New Job Energy & Environment Summer Student In Alberta
|Energy & Environment Summer Student|
Energy & Environment Summer Student
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $25.91 an hour
Location : Alberta
The City of Grande Prairie's Energy & Environment Department is looking for an enthusiastic student to work alongside our full time staff for the summer. You will be currently enrolled in post secondary in the field of environmental studies. We offer a wide variety of hands on training and experiences in both the office and field environments. You will have the opportunity to develop existing skills learned in school while exploring new skills. Working at the City of GP for the summer will foster a solid foundation to build a career in the environmental field. The successful candidate will be organized and curious, have the ability to solve problems, be confident in working alone, and have excellent communication skills.
Your responsibilities will include varied tasks supporting the Environmental Technologist in the surface and ground water sampling program, monitoring for methane, conducting environmental audits; support the Energy Analyst in updating the corporate and community GHG inventory, and supporting the department in a variety of activities. You will complete tasks alongside full time staff, as well as individually.
Specific responsibilities may include:
- Prepare for and assist with surface and ground water sampling
- Record all sampling and methane monitoring data
- Calculate GHG emissions
- Update streetlight inventory
- Assist with and participate in external departmental activities including GP Grows events
- Attend departmental meetings
The successful candidate(s) must be currently enrolled in a post-secondary environmental program and possess the following:
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office; specifically skilled at Excel
- A desire to learn new skills in a fast paced work environment
- Ability to work well in a team environment as well as carry out tasks independently
- Effective communication skills both verbally and written
- Dedication to safe work practices and worker safety
The successful candidate(s) will also be expected to provide a reliable vehicle for business use. You will be compensated for vehicle use in accordance with the City's vehicle reimbursement policy.
You will be required to provide your own CSA approved safety boots and a cell phone. You will be compensated for personal cell phone use in accordance with the current City Policy.
Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., 35 hours per week. Some evening and weekend work may be required.
Band B Entry Step $25.91 per hour
We thank you in advance for your interest. Those selected for an interview will be contacted by phone or email. We will contact those who did not make it to the interview stage by email within 60 days of the closing date of this job posting.
1. Submit a cover letter and resume using the "Apply Now" tab on this web page.
2. Applications will be reviewed, and short-listed and interviews will be scheduled.
Note: Once you apply and upload a resume you should receive an email confirming that your application has been submitted for this position. If you receive this email, there is NO further need to contact us regarding this position.
- This posting will be open until a suitable candidate(s) is/are found.
- This posting may be used to fill more than one position.
- This temporary position is also open to permanent City employee as a development opportunity.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive per job posting, we cannot answer job-specific questions before the interview stage. If you are successful in getting to the job interview stage, we will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have at that time.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $25.91 per hour