New Job Casual Housekeeping In Nova Scotia
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Nova Scotia
HOUSEKEEPING JOB DESCRIPTION
DEPARTMENT: Environmental Services
REPORTS TO: Facility Supports Manager
Performs housekeeping and cleaning activities within well established guidelines and assigned areas.
- Grade-school education.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English preferred as to be understood effectively by another individual.
- Ability to follow oral directions.
- Personal cleanliness.
- Pleasant, tactful, courteous.
- Physically healthy and strong enough to perform duties.
- Ability to cooperate with other employees.
- Willingness to perform routine, repetitive tasks on a continuous basis.
- Perform tasks despite frequent interruptions.
- Economical use of supplies, care and use of equipment. Any satisfactory combination of education, training, experience, or abilities in a related field.
- Must be able to accomplish all responsibilities without supervision or other employee assistance after the training period is completed, and do so without injury to oneself or other individuals.
- Follows cleaning schedule (daily, weekly, monthly, etc.,) as outlined for housekeeping department.
- Cleans assigned areas, furnishings, and fixtures according to established housekeeping procedures.
- Cleans floors: Dry mops, wet mops, disinfects where and when necessary. Performs emergency housekeeping where accidents occur.
- Cleans movable and stationary furnishings and fixtures: Dusts, spot cleans or washes, disinfects when necessary, polishes where required. This includes the cleaning of ledges, shelves, vents, etc. Empties, cleans and relines wastebaskets. Straightens or rearranges furniture as directed.
- Inspects furnishings for wear and defects and reports to a supervisor.
- Cleans bathroom (resident, private): Cleans and disinfects all fixtures, floors, and walls as directed. Washes windows and mirrors. Replenishes bathroom supplies.
- Cleans walls, windows, doors, and ceilings: Spot cleans between washings,
- Washes, disinfects when necessary. Walls and ceilings and ceiling fixtures are cleaned as scheduled.
- Cleans entrances and exits: Cleans as directed above for floors and walls.
- Cleans all horizontal surfaces daily or as required, removing dust, dirt, or greasy film, using disinfectants where necessary such as in resident care areas.
- Performs terminal cleaning duties according to established procedure (see nursing procedure manual) in resident rooms when resident has been discharged or transferred, and prepares room for new occupant.
- Performs cleaning duties in isolation units when resident is transferred, according to established procedure (see nursing procedure manual).
- Removes for cleaning and re-hangs curtains, drapes, and dividers.
- Removes waste and disposes of waste and trash.
- Reports observations concerning structural and equipment wear, defects and malfunctioning to supervisor.
- Reports supply and equipment needs to Supervisor for replenishing.
- Maintains equipment used in performing duties.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strenuous physical activity involved (walking, standing, lifting).
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds; stretch arms above head; bend to clean under furniture.
- On feet most of workday.
- Pushes, pulls, lifts, cleaning equipment and supplies.
- May stand on small stepladder to reach high places.
- Exposed irregularly to infection when entering resident rooms.
- Subject to reactions from heavy dust, housekeeping and disinfecting solutions.
- All work areas have good lighting and ventilation.
- Must be on constant alert for possible injuries to patients.
- Exposed to odors.
- Exposed to physical and emotional disabilities of the aged, which may include combative residents.
- Maintain knowledge of current Fire and Emergency plan and procedures
- Maintain knowledge of The Birches policies and procedures
- Interacts with staff, residents, families and the public in a polite, respectful, professional manner.
- May be expected to participate on The Birches committees, or specific meetings as required.
- Other duties may be assigned from time-to-time.
Risk & Safety:
- In working together, we will practice and promote a culture of safety; while providing comfort, care and compassion for residents and families of The Birches.
- Ensures to "take every reasonable precaution in the circumstances to protect the employee's own health and safety and that of other persons at or near the workplace" ~ NS OHS Act 17.1(a)
- Maintains and promotes health and safety standards and procedures according to The Birches guidelines and resident care standards to a level consistent with recognized provincial standards including ethical guidelines.
- Ensures compliance of all applicable regulatory laws, by-laws, codes, standards, guidelines and acts.
- Promotes a safe and healthy workplace for staff and volunteers
- Promotes a safe and healthy environment for residents and their families
- Participates, when required in initiatives that minimize risk and promote safety
- Ensures that risks are minimized and proactively addressed for the interest of The Birches.
Ethics, Values and Decision Making
- Ensures that ethical standards are maintained in scope of responsibility
- Champions the values established by The Birches in day to day operations.
- Champions the mission, vision, and strategic directions established by The Birches.
- Abides by all facility policies, procedures and regulations
- Establishes excellent working relationships with residents, families, staff and volunteers in accomplishing work.
- Ensures that any software utilized is maintained and accurate with complete records.
- Demonstrate commitment to quality and promote a quality culture
- Day-to-day implementation of the quality care and services
- Continually look for ways to improve quality of care or service
- Work as part of teams/committees to manage quality
Management reserves the right to make changes to this job description as required in operating Ocean View Continuing Care Centre. When major changes are required, management will endeavor to provide two week notice of the changes.