New Job Associate City Solicitor In Alberta
|Associate City Solicitor|
Associate City Solicitor
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $61.26–$76.58 an hour
Location : Alberta
Working under the direction of the City Solicitor, the Associate City Solicitor is responsible for providing legal services for the City of Red Deer. This includes providing verbal and written advice and opinions on diverse legal matters to the Corporation and City Council; drafting bylaws; drafting, negotiating and reviewing various agreements; acting as a liaison between external counsel and administration and representing the City as required to outside agencies; providing legal representation before the courts and administrative tribunals.
- Completion of LLB or JD degree from a recognized Canadian university
- Must be a Member of the Law Society of Alberta in good standing or able to obtain a membership prior to commencement of employment
- Three years of broad experience practicing in areas of law relevant to Alberta municipal government operations (such as the Municipal Government Act, planning, land development, taxation, real estate, bylaw prosecution, administrative or regulatory law)
Competencies: In addition to the 9 Core Competencies (i.e., Ethical Conduct & Values, Service Focus, Problem Solving/Thinking, Planning & Organizing, Leadership, Development, Communication & Interaction, Adaptability & Change Management, Understanding the Municipal Political Environment) – the following are specific to this position:
- Proven legislative drafting skills and strong written communication skills in order that complex legal issues can be explained in a manner that allows those not familiar with legal terminology to understand the facts and the application of legal principles to those facts.
- Must have or obtain an understanding of the various operations of The City.
Commitment to ongoing professional education.
- Must have the political acumen to function effectively in a political setting.
- Must have a high level of interpersonal skill and diplomacy. Must have excellent listening, oral and written communications skills and the ability to distill concerns and ask questions that will clearly identify underlying issues.
Specific Demands of the Job:
- Work outside of regular office hours can be expected.
- Attendance at City Council Meetings and other meetings outside of core business hours may be required.
- Timelines are often short on work assignments.
- The workday will be frequently interrupted.
- Work must be performed in a confidential manner to ensure that solicitor client privilege is maintained.
Remuneration: $61.26 to $76.58 per hour ($119,923 to $149,904 Salary)
Hours of Work: 75 hours biweekly; Monday to Friday, evenings and weekend work may be required to meet demands and timelines.We thank you for your application; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.