New Job Senior Policy & Program Advisor In Alberta
|Senior Policy & Program Advisor|
Senior Policy & Program Advisor
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $5,433–$7,102 a month
Location : Alberta
Job Requisition ID: 36158
Ministry: Service Alberta and Red Tape Reduction
Full or Part-Time: Full Time
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Scope: Open Competition
Closing Date: January 2, 2023
Classification: Subsidiary 02B 3625 Program Services 4
We play an integral role in government operations with responsibilities for information technology, information management policy and standards, service delivery, financial operations, and procurement. If you work for the Alberta Public Service, you also rely on Service Alberta for employee services such as payroll and benefits.
Every Service Albertan strives to enable the success of our Ministry partners and Albertans through providing exceptional client focused services that meet and exceed our clients’ expectations. We are looking for collaborative, agile, solutions focused individuals with strong communication skills and a strong service orientation. If that describes you, please read on!
Are you looking for a position that has department-wide impact and influence?
Under the direction of the Manager, Strategic Engagement and Integrated Initiatives within the Policy, Governance and Legislative Services Branch, this position is responsible for supporting a variety of strategic projects focused on achieving the ministry’s mandate of driving innovation, modernizing government and fostering efficient delivery of government programs, services and information.
The overall aim for the branch is a consistent and coordinated implementation of strategic initiatives. Specific accountabilities of the Senior Policy and Program Advisor positions include:
- Providing advice and recommendations to the Manager;
- Providing stakeholder engagement expertise, including the development and execution of engagement plans and processes as well as leading stakeholder engagements;
- Providing project and policy leadership on a range of priorities and organizational reviews for the ministry;
- Supporting the ministry’s red tape reduction efforts including quantitative analysis / methodologies and implementing service improvements to reduce red tape;
- Supporting intergovernmental priorities to ensure the ministry is strategically positioned to participate in interactions with federal-provincial-territorial governments and respond to international trends/developments.
- Delivering project management support/coordination; and
- Providing oversight to divisional modernization efforts.
Other Requirements include:
- Excellent leadership skills and strategic thinking aligned to the overall goals of the department.
- Experience in leading projects and supporting initiatives (e.g., consultation, policy, etc.)
- Agility and able to take on new and emerging responsibilities as the role evolves
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Excellent organizing, planning and management skills
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Suite program and functions
University graduation in a field to the position assignment (Social Science, Political Science, Business/Commerce, Public Administration or related field) plus 4 years progressively responsible related experience; or equivalent as described below.
Equivalency: Directly related education or experience considered on the basis of:
- 1 year of education for 1 year of experience; or
- 1 year of experience for 1 year of education
The following will be considered Assets:
- Knowledge of government decision-making, implementation, and internal and external stakeholder engagement processes and instruments.
- Experience with projects involving changes to legislation, regulations, and policies in order to provide strategic direction to branches and to make feasible recommendations to executive leadership.
- Experience with establishing and maintaining positive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders and/or other provincial, territorial and federal government representatives.
- Experience with stakeholder engagement using online consultation platforms and/or digital communication tools.
Competencies are behaviors that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process.
This link will assist you with understanding competencies:
Agility: you will need to provide results in a complex, diverse and changing environment.
Drive for Results: you will work with your team to set goals and priorities and to deliver outcomes that are consistent with the direction of the department.
Develop Self and Others: you will drive by example a team culture that is focused on continuous learning and growth and encourage self-development through experience sharing.
Build Collaborative Environments: you will establish and maintain business relationships with clients, encourage or facilitate discussions and build long lasting relationships.
Develop Networks: you will seek out input from a wide range of internal and external stakeholders to solve complex problems and provide the best solutions.
Systems Thinking: you will consider the whole system when developing, evaluating and implementing process and technology change.
Creative Problem Solving: Have the ability to assess options and implications in new ways to achieve outcomes and solutions.
$2,716.64 - $3,550.90/bi-weekly ($70,904 - $92,678/year)
Applications must include a well-written cover letter and resume that indicates how your experience aligns with the scope of this position in order to be considered for this competition.
Links and information on what the GoA has to offer to prospective employees.
- Working for the Alberta Public Service –
- Pension plans:
- Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP) –
- Management Employees Pension Plan (MEPP) –
- Leadership and mentorship programs
- Professional learning and development
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
- Opportunity to participate in flexible work arrangements such as working from home up to two days per week and modified work schedule agreements
Research Alberta Public Service Careers tool –
How To Apply
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system,
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
Resources for applicants:
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the role profile, and/or require a disability related accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact Liliane Karara at [email protected].
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check