New Job Recreation Programmer, Fitness In Ontario
|Recreation Programmer, Fitness|
Recreation Programmer, Fitness
Company : City of Mississauga
Salary : $35.42–$47.23 an hour
Location : Ontario
Vacancy Type: Temporary
Contract Duration: upto 12 months
Number of Positions: 1
Closing Date: 12/28/2022
Are you a dynamic, team-focused individual with a passion for fitness and service excellence? The City of Mississauga is seeking a Recreation Programmer - Fitness, who will help to initiate, develop and supervise a diversified group of fitness/wellness programs to meet the needs of the community. You will report to the Fitness Supervisor and work with an experienced team of industry professionals managing fitness and therapeutic programming across the City. Working as part of the community centre supervisory team, you will also assist in the general supervision of the building, programs and staff and maintain excellent public relations and customer service.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the direction of the Fitness Supervisor, the successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Development, coordination, promotion and delivery of programs designed specific to the needs and preferences of the community for the facility
- Ensuring quality for the content and delivery of all programs and services
- Leadership and development of part-time staff including mentorship, providing resources and guidance, coordinating training and development, etc.
- Assisting the Fitness Supervisor with the management of part-time staff including evaluations, scheduling, etc.
- Providing direct supervision of staff, programs and services in the absence of the Supervisor
- Conducting on-site programs on occasion and/or when required
- Recommending changes in program schedules, create innovative programs to generate revenue
- Purchasing and maintaining an inventory of program supplies
- Maintaining existing City Recreation standards in program delivery to ensure Corporate efficiencies are realized
- Maintaining required statistics and prepare reports as required
- Assisting with monitoring and recommending annual budget
- Providing administrative services to ensure efficient and responsible operations for the centre
- Providing customer service and support to co-workers, management, and public
- Assuming the role of Manager on Duty on a regular basis
- Performing other related duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications
- Degree or diploma in Recreation, Physical Education, Fitness/Health or equivalent and related field with one to three years of experience in a fitness/recreation setting; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Current fitness certification(s) as Personal Trainer Certification and/or Fitness Instructor
- Current CPR, First Aid Certification
- HIGH FIVE ® Principles of Healthy Child Development an asset
- Knowledge of equipment maintenance/preventative programs, knowledge of racquet sports and strong are considered assets
- Knowledge and experience with fitness recreation program design and delivery (i.e. sports conditioning, older adult/youth training, therapeutic rehabilitation, schedule and program development, part time staff management) and excellent customer service skills are required
- Must be able to demonstrate leadership skills and the ability to work in a team environment
- Must be a highly motivated, self-starter with excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to establish effective working relationships
- Ability to work in a changing environment and have an interest in broadening your experience is desired
- Proficient computer skills in Word, and Excel
- Knowledge of R3/SAP, Sharepoint and CLASS system is a definite asset
- Valid Ontario Class ‘G’ license and access to a vehicle is required
- Criminal Record Search-Vulnerable Sector Screening that is acceptable to the City of Mississauga will be required of the successful candidate
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 35.42 - $ 47.23
Hours of Work: 35
Work Location: Mississauga Valley CC
Organization Unit: CMS/Terry Fox/Civic Fitness
Department/Division/Section: CMS/Community Services Dept , CMS/Recreation Division , Aquatics, Therapeutic & Fitness
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
COVID-19 Update: As per the City’s Employee Recruitment Policy, all external candidates (including previously employed individuals) must show their Fully Vaccinated Confirmation or apply for and receive confirmation of a creed or medical exemption from the City before their first day.
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) or Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can also check your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.