New Job Public Works Operator/Labourer2 Position - Term Position May Turn Full Time In Nova Scotia
|Public Works Operator/Labourer2 Position - term position may turn Full Time|
Public Works Operator/Labourer2 Position - term position may turn Full Time
Company : Town of Oxford
Salary : $18.54–$22.27 an hour
Location : Nova Scotia
Position Title: Operator / Labourer 2
Purpose: To perform duties related to the operation and maintenance of the Town’s Utility systems. Training may be required prior to undertaking some tasks listed.
- To undertake repair, maintenance and operation activities related to the Town’s water distribution system, wastewater collection and treatment systems.
- Performs operation and maintenance work as required including changing chlorine cylinders and maintenance of pumps, motors, and valves.
- Performs water quality tests
- Performs repairs to sewer and watermain breaks by entering excavations, locating the main and undertaking the necessary repairs
- Performs locates for water and sewer infrastructure
- Performs water and sewer service installations including undertaking the service lateral connection tapping as required
- Performs maintenance and repair on fire hydrants including pumping and snow removal
- Regularly operates all water distribution valves and inspects sewer manholes to ensure proper operation of utility system
- Participates in the development of Preventative Maintenance Standards and undertakes record keeping as required
- Regularly inspects sewage pumping stations, including pumps, motors, valves, and standby power to ensure that they are functioning properly
- Maintains sewage pumping stations in a good, clean condition, including any painting required
- Undertakes water meter maintenance and repair
- Responds to emerging situations after normal working hours
- Operating the backhoe for snow removal around fire hydrants (when trained to do so)
- Undertaking watermain flushing activities on and as required basis
- Assists in snow removal activities
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Certified or capable of being certified in the areas of Water Distribution, Sewage Treatment and Collection
- Capable of working in confined spaces, under both normal and emergency conditions involving trenches, manholes, etc.
- Capable of working with potentially hazardous gases such as chlorine
- Must have a mechanical ability for repair and maintenance of water and sewer infrastructure
- Must be capable of working with minimal supervision
- Ability to communicate effectively with other employees and the general public
- Ability to understand and apply written and oral instructions
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $18.54-$22.27 per hour
- Company pension
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
We follow all COVID 19 protocols as set by the Province of NS.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Oxford, NS: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: One location
Application deadline: 2023-01-04