New Job Manager, Policy And Strategy In Alberta
|Manager, Policy and Strategy|
Manager, Policy and Strategy
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $6,125–$8,243 a month
Location : Alberta
Job Requisition ID: 36457
Ministry: Forestry, Parks and Tourism
Full or Part-Time: Full Time
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Scope: Open Competition
Closing Date: January 6, 2023
Classification: Management Manager Zone 2
We have two (2) exciting opportunities, both, reporting to the Chief of Staff, in the Deputy Minister’s Office. The successful candidates will play an integral role by supporting the day-to-day operations and workflow requirements within the Deputy Minister’s Office, which includes the daily management of issues and information.
You will anticipate issues and identify solutions related to those issues, requiring comprehensive knowledge on a broad range of issues related to the ministry. You will have a strong focus on problem solving when issues arise in an ever-changing environment and must also understand, analyze and convey complex information to the Minister's Office, ADM offices and ministry staff. You will be responsible for the development and coordination of ministry information/reports, including ministerial information requests, meeting/event recommendations, briefings, correspondence, inquiry responses, and other reporting statistics that support the strategic decision making process for executive management.
As the Issues Manager, you will also analyze and integrate information produced by ministry staff to ensure that information products related to programs and services and policies initiatives align with ministry and government priorities. Ability to change directions quickly and reprioritize activities in a high volume, highly complex and fast-paced environment is an essential attribute for the position.
A strong component of this position is strategic issues management and coordination, as well as working closely with the Deputy Minister's Office, Executive Correspondence Unit, other executive offices. Additionally strong internal partnerships are developed with ministry staff to support key background documents that frame government decision making (i.e. DM Bi-weekly updates, priority progress tracker, cabinet reports, Executive Team planning) and to provide direction on information products to ensure they are accurate and meet the needs of the Minister and DM. The outcomes of this position directly effect the service and information provided to ministry stakeholders.
To be successful in this role you must possess strong relationship building and communication skills. You have in-depth knowledge of government structure, operations, decision-making processes, the policy cycle, and legislative processes. You must be able to analytically evaluate and synthesize information to anticipate the impact of the department’s actions and initiatives as you respond to emerging issues in the context of the strategic direction provided by the Deputy Minister and Executive Team and the department’s strategic plans. You will also have political acumen and be able to articulate the work of the division within the broader government context.
Manager, Policy and Strategy:
The Manager, Policy and Strategy, is the operational lead for ministry policy coordination, providing advisory services to ensure policy recommendations and documents are prepared for ministry and Cabinet consideration (e.g., impact assessments such as gender-based analysis, reviewing Cabinet reports). This position also manages the ministry wide tracking and reporting framework to highlight current status and key decision points for executive leaders. Collectively, this work provides assurance for progress and accountability of policy and strategy coordination; facilitates a coordinated approach to support timely policy decisions through the government decision making process; and builds and manages collaborative relationships with diverse stakeholders, including with senior and executive level staff across the Ministry, the Minister's Office and Executive Council.
This position also manages the integrated implementation of priority ministry strategies (e.g., Alberta 2030: Building Skills for Jobs) to achieve the vision and outcomes across multiple specific initiatives that engage diverse internal and external stakeholders. This work includes development and monitoring of an overarching plan for implementation and working with initiative leads across the department and in other ministries to integrate efforts and sustain linkages in making progress toward strategy objectives.
This position manages Policy and Strategy Coordination operations to achieve expected performance targets and results in a productive and collaborative environment with all stakeholders. Collaboration with leaders across the branch, division and department advance the goals and priorities of the department. Integrated reporting, consultation, and recommendations are provided to senior management on matters related to units' operations to inform strategic planning and decision-making. Reporting to the Director, Policy and Strategy Coordination, the Manager performs all work in accordance with relevant federal and provincial legislation, policies, and guidelines.
- University degree in a related field (social sciences, business, communication, etc.) supplemented by a minimum of four years of related experience managing issues in a highly sensitive environment.
- Experience in issues management, drafting or editing briefing notes/memos, letters, senior executive correspondence is preferred.
- Project management experience is desirable. Supervisory experience is an asset.
Related experience or education will be considered as an equivalency on a one for one basis.
- Several years of progressive experience on policy initiatives, and/or managing complex projects or programs.
- Experience working with senior officials across government.
- Well-developed strategic and systems thinking to sustain linkages between specific initiatives in alignment with overarching goals related to transformation of government systems in Alberta.
- Ability to influence cooperation and engagement across a broad range of ministry staff as well as external stakeholders in other agencies or ministries.
- Collaboration and consultation skills to gather information, identify options, and solicit ministry feedback.
- Project management skills to lead and guide projects, working groups and committees, and manage projects, sometimes within short timeframes.
- Oral and written communication and presentation skills to identify policy coordination issues and enable informed decision-making by senior officials.
Competencies are behaviours that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process. The link below will assist you with understanding competencies:
- Agility – Demonstrated ability to manage and adapt to change. Ability to manage human, financial and physical resources within an operating environment.
- Drive for Results – Leadership skills, including demonstrated ability and comfort with decision making responsibilities, coaching and teaching, and the ability to inspire and build confidence in others.
- Develop Self and Others – Proven ability to foster partnerships and to achieve organizational goals within an organization.
- Build Collaborative Environments – Strong track record in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop Networks – Ability to foster a climate of cooperation amongst, and build solid relationships with public agencies, government, committees and other partners.
- Systems Thinking – Effective leadership abilities combined with a strong commitment to operating within a team environment and the ability to motivate and inspire other to achieve common goals.
- Creative Problem Solving – Excellent analytical and decision-making skills.
$3,062.51 to $4,121.25 bi-weekly. ($79.932 - $107,565/ year)
There are two permanent positions available located in Edmonton. These positions are 36.25 hours per day, 8:15 am – 4:30 pm Monday- Friday.
Applicants are advised to provide a cover letter summarizing information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies across the Government of Alberta, at equal or lower classification and salary.
What we offer:
- Working for the Alberta Public Service –
- Pension plans:
- Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP) –
- Management Employees Pension Plan (MEPP) –
- Leadership and mentorship programs
- Professional learning and development
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
- Opportunity to participate in flexible work arrangements such as working from home up to two days per week and modified work schedule agreements
- Research Alberta Public Service Careers tool –
How To Apply
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system,
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the role profile, and/or require a disability related accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact Karen Jackman at [email protected].
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check