New Job Manager, Foip/Hia Coordinator In Alberta
|Manager, FOIP/HIA Coordinator|
Manager, FOIP/HIA Coordinator
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $6,125–$8,243 a month
Location : Alberta
Job Requisition ID: 36853
Ministry: Alberta Health
Full or Part-Time: Full Time
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Regular/Temporary: Temporary until December 31, 2023
Scope: Open Competition
Closing Date: January 9, 2023
Classification: Manager Zone 2
The Ministry of Health leads work in the areas of Alberta health insurance and benefits, doctors, hospitals and facilities, and other healthcare supports and information. Health’s vision is ‘healthy Albertans in a healthy Alberta’. The ministry ensures that Albertans receive the right health care services, at the right time, in the right place, provided by the right health care providers and teams. Working together in the department of Health we aim to improve health care outcomes for all Albertans, ensure that the well-being of Albertans is supported through public and population health initiatives and that all Albertans receive care from highly skilled health care providers and teams, working to their full scope of practice. Alberta Health’s teams of professionals also ensure Alberta has a high quality, stable, accountable and sustainable health system.
For more information on the work Alberta Health does, visit this link:
The Ministry Planning and Operations branch leads the department’s corporate planning and reporting, is responsible for governance of health sector public bodies, and coordinates the department’s responses to applications under Alberta’s Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
The Ministry of Health is looking for a resilient and agile leader to join their FOIP/HIA Office.
Working in partnership with the Director, FOIP/HIA, your role as the Manager, FOIP/HIA Coordinator involves leading and managing a diverse team of advisors and administrative support workers who are working diligently to deal with the backlog in access requests under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and Health Information Act. As the leader of this surge team, you will support maintaining a culture of resilience and problem solving. You can navigate a work environment that is experiencing increasing workload demands from stakeholders, and that is also amidst dealing with COVID related backlogs.
As the incumbent for this role, you have in-depth experience working with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act and related legislations. You understand the formal and detailed processes of supporting incoming FOIP requests from initiation to closure. You have experience working within the quasi-judicial process and the requirements of the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner (OIPC). You use sound judgement to navigate FOIP requests through this process in a professional, strategic, and detail-oriented manner.
You also oversee these processes within the unique lens of the Health Information Act (HIA). The HIA oversees the protection and privacy of health-related information, which increases the complexity of access to information. Your experience with both FOIP and HIA legislation allows you to ensure accountability to both Acts is maintained.
Critical to managing and leading your team and the workload, you bring a strategic viewpoint to oversee how incoming work can be better bundled or organized with the intent to increase efficiencies and improve processes, while ensuring the outcomes of the requests are achieved in reasonable timelines.
Your leadership and managerial skills allow you to develop your team by ensuring that the work assigned to FOIP/HIA Advisors is completed in accordance to legislation and your direct reports’ learning and development is supported. You support your team to drive for results and help to organize work and process improvements so that the existing workload and the increase in new requests can be managed in a timely fashion. Your agility is critical for this work environment; it will help lead your team through these unique, demanding times and help you foster a sense of resilience and stress management.
While the work of the Office is driven by requests from the public and related stakeholders, you lead by example through demonstrating a calm, focused, and solution-oriented approach. You are able to encourage your team to get through this together by leveraging the existing resources and capabilities within the FOIP Office.
That said, your relationship and creative problem-solving skills are your most critical assets. You support the success of your team through your ability to develop networks and build collaborative environments. You will use existing partnerships with other internal stakeholders to find collaborative ways to support files moving forward. You are comfortable reaching out to other areas and leveraging new, creative approaches to bring others on board to support the initiatives and deliverables of your area. While your office holds expertise in the FOIP area, the success of your office is truly a collaborative effort with other teams and departments!
As a seasoned professional in the area of information access and privacy, you are true collaborator and strategic thinker. While working with stakeholders that include the public, public interest groups, the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner, Service Alberta, and the Health Information Act Policy area, your communication and negotiation skills support positive relationships and outcomes for your team and for balancing the need to access information while protecting privacy.
These requirements include:
- Experience is required in information access and/or information privacy specific roles
- Experience with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act is required.
- Experience leading project management initiatives
A cover letter outlining how your experience relates to the qualifications of this role is required.
Preference will be given to those with:
- A minimum of Seven years in a client facing management function with seven years in an access and privacy role, preferably at the manager or supervisor level.
- Experience in conflict resolution, preferably in the public sector, gained through mediation, access and privacy.
- Experience working in a quasi-legal environment in a large and diverse organization.
- Exposure working with government services and specific health related knowledge.
- Direct working experience with the Health Information Act (HIA), and/or
- Information Access and Protection of Privacy Certificate (University of Alberta)
The following are considered Assets:
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Leadership training; and/or
- Participation in committees or social/engagement initiatives
Related experience or education maybe considered as an equivalency one-for-one for one basis of:
- 1 year of education for 1 year of experience; or
- 1 year of experience for 1 year of education
This role requires the following competencies:
Creative Problem Solving:
- Ability to gather information from varied sources, analyze and interpret information to formulate reports and make decisions related to case planning.
- Ability to prioritize competing workload pressures in an effective manner and contribute to the organizational goals.
Drive for Results:
- Sets and accomplishes goals and priorities in order to deliver outcomes consistent with departmental objectives and directives.
Building Collaborative Environments:
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with a variety of teams within the workplace, community and other Government ministries/agencies to meet client and ministry goals and objectives.
Ability to interact positively, build relationships and work effectively with others.
This link will assist you with understanding competencies:
$3,062.51 to $4,121.25 bi-weekly ($79,931 - $107,564 /year)
- 36.25 hours per week (full time)
- A cover letter outlining how your experience relates to the qualifications of this role is required.
- Candidates may be required to undergo a written assessment as part of the recruitment process
- Top candidates will be required to undergo security screening.
Position Location: 10025 Jasper Avenue, Edmonton, AB
This position may be used to fill future vacancies across the Government of Alberta, at equal or lower classification and salary.
Optional: Links and information on what the GoA has to offer to prospective employees.
- Working for the Alberta Public Service –
- Pension plans:
- Management Employees Pension Plan (MEPP) –
- Leadership and mentorship programs
- Professional learning and development
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
How To Apply
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system,
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
Resources for applicants:
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the role profile, and/or require a disability related accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact Jagreet Uppal, Talent Acquisition Administrator at [email protected]
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check