New Job Communications Director In Alberta
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $8,177–$10,383 a month
Location : Alberta
Job Requisition ID: 36591
Ministry: Communications and Public Engagement
Full or Part-Time: Full Time
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Scope: Open Competition
Closing Date: January 16, 2023
Classification: Management Senior Manager Zone 2
Communications and Public Engagement (CPE) is the Government of Alberta's full-service communications, public relations and marketing department with offices in Edmonton and Calgary, and branches in each ministry. Its mandate is to enhance communications between the people and the Government of Alberta.
CPE’s expert staff provide specialized services across the spectrum of communications including writing, social media, media relations, event coordination, issues management, crisis communications, digital communications, advertising, marketing, graphic design, public engagement and translation services.
The department staffs the communications branches in all ministries of government along with a central operations department.
For information about CPE, visit our website at
Put your extensive communications knowledge and leadership skills to good use by joining a dynamic team of professionals in Communications and Public Engagement (CPE).
This opportunity offers considerable freedom to act while also belonging to a larger organization of skilled and talented communications professionals, giving you the benefits of a supportive cross-government team and opportunities to collaborate on larger government initiatives.
Your role as the Communications Director is to work closely with the Deputy Minister’s Office, Minister’s Office, other senior staff in the ministry, CPE as a whole, and colleagues across government. You will coordinate and collaborate on all projects and issues that have an external communications component. You will serve as a full member of the ministry’s executive committee.
Using proven relationship-building and problem-solving skills, you will act as a key resource to coordinate multiple demands, with often competing needs. You will provide high quality communications support including:
- providing strategic coordinated advice to the minister, deputy minister and executive team;
- creating, planning and delivering long and short-term communications strategies;
- participating in policy and program planning;
- identifying and addressing highly sensitive media and communications issues affecting the ministry;
- promoting public awareness of the ministry’s programs and policies; and
- developing and managing relationships with a wide range of external and internal stakeholders.
You will also serve as a professional coach and mentor for staff, and oversee administrative and human resource elements such as budgets, performance management, training, and staff development, and providing support to the public engagement and public opinion staff development.
University graduation in a related field, such as communications, public relations, journalism or English, supplemented by six years of progressively responsible management experience.
Equivalencies to be considered as below:
Directly related education or experience considered on the basis of:
- 1 year of education for 1 year of experience; OR 1 year of experience for 1 year of education.
- Master’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, English, or a related field of study.
- Excellent political acumen.
- Experience with systems work, including building processes and tools for use in large organizations.
- Management experience in coaching, developing, maintaining relationships, leading, and motivating teams.
Competencies are behaviours that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process.
This link will assist you with understanding competencies:
The successful candidate for this role will have the following competencies:
- Agility – ability to anticipate, assess and readily adapt to changing situations/environments.
- Drive for Results – knowing what outcomes are important and maximizing resources to achieve results that are aligned with the goals of the organization while maintaining accountability to each other and external stakeholders.
- Develop Self and Others – committed to a lifelong learning and the desire to invest in the development of the long-term capability of yourself and others.
- Build Collaborative Environments - Leading and contributing to the conditions and environments that allow people to work collaboratively and productively to achieve outcomes.
- Develop Networks - proactively develop networks, connect and build trust in relationships with different stakeholders.
- Systems Thinking – the ability to know how your work will impact.
- Creative Problem Solving – ability to assess options and implications, engage different perspectives and create strategic solutions for communications challenges.
$4,088.42 to $5,191.71 bi-weekly ($107,707 - $135, 503/year)
Hours of Work: 36.25 per week
The successful candidates will be evaluated on a combination of experience and education.
This competition may be used for future vacancies at equal or lesser classifications across the Government of Alberta. Final candidates for this position will be required to undergo a security screening.
We offer a comprehensive and competitive benefits plan.
Please see the links below for more information.
- Working for the Alberta Public Service –
- Pension plans:
- Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP) –
- Management Employees Pension Plan (MEPP) –
We Also Offer:
- Leadership and mentorship programs
- Professional learning and development
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
How To Apply
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system,
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted, via email.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the role profile, and/or require a disability related accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact Cindy Zaiffdeen at [email protected].
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check