|Roadway Operations Detours Leader|
Roadway Operations Detours Leader
Company : City of Calgary
Salary : $98,595–$151,009 a year
Location : Alberta
If you are committed to public service, enjoy collaborating with others, share our values and have a desire to learn and grow, join The City of Calgary . City employees deliver the services, run the programs and operate the facilities which make a difference in our community. We support work-life balance, promote physical and psychological safety, and offer competitive wages, pensions, and benefits . Together we make Calgary a great place to make a living, a great place to make a life.
The City is committed to fostering a respectful, inclusive and equitable workplace which is representative of the community we serve. We welcome those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, inclusion, anti-racism and reconciliation. Applications are encouraged from members of groups that are historically disadvantaged and underrepresented. Accommodations are available during the hiring process, upon request.
As the Leader, Detours, you will be responsible for providing and maintaining the safe, efficient, and effective Temporary traffic control and operations on City of Calgary roadways for the purpose of Construction, Maintenance activities and Special events. You will act as the Responsible Member overseeing all temporary traffic control plans and permits issues on roads right of way. Primary responsibilities include:
- Lead, supervise, hire, direct, train, mentor and coach Roadway Operations and Detours team.
- Direct, design, review and approve in house traffic engineering designs and plan and authentication of temporary traffic control plans within The City of Calgary’s public rights of way.
- Establish best practices in traffic operations, develop and amend City of Calgary policies, Temporary Traffic Control Manual, Traffic Bylaw, Street Bylaw, and Temp Signs Bylaw and regulations.
- Participate in various levels of government and professional committees in the development and review of municipal, provincial, and national standards and guidelines for traffic engineering.
- Implement change management and develop long term strategies related to human resources, organizational operations, processes, and procedures.
- Initiate, prepare and present policy reports to committees and Council.
A degree in Civil Engineering with current licensure as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng) with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA), or licensure by the first day of work.
At least 4 years of related post Professional Engineer experience.
Knowledge of Synchro and a basic understanding of ArcGIS or AutoCAD is required.
Familiarity of Traffic engineering principles, TAC Guidelines and general traffic operation standards, including service, capacity analysis, traffic detour management, safety considerations, and traffic impact studies is required.
Understanding of provincial legislation, regulation, and standards as they pertain to traffic engineering and operations is desired.
Success in the position requires the following competencies:
Ability to work well and exercise good judgment and diplomacy under pressure; capable of dealing with multiple stakeholders, responsibilities, and projects.
Demonstrated experience in establishing, developing, and maintaining long-term, supportive relationships.
Ability to work cohesively in a team environment.
Ability to be creative, challenge and demonstrate initiative to generate improvements and foster positive outcomes.
Willingness to try alternative approaches, open to the ideas of others.
Tolerance for ambiguity, shifting priorities and complex situations.
Familiarity with objectively thinking through impacts of initiatives in a public sector setting.
Ability to think strategically while applying strong analytical skills.
Equivalent combinations of experience and education may be considered.
Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
Business Unit: Mobility
Position Type: 1 Temporary (up to 24 months)
Location: 2808 Spiller Road SE
Compensation: Engineering Level F $98,595 - 151, 009 per annum
Days of Work: This position works a 5 day
work week earning 1 day off in a 3 week cycle.
Hours of work: Standard 35 hour work week
Apply By: November 29, 2022
Job ID #: 306534