Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $26 an hour
Location : Ontario
Reporting to the Recreation Program Coordinator at the Oak Ridges Community Centre (ORCC), the Recreation Assistant will provide assistance with the development and delivery of programs and services while following the City's core values of Care, Collaboration, Courage, and Service. Under direction, you will provide assistance with research, program staff scheduling and supervision, and program supervision on a schedule that may include evenings and weekends.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with the development, implementation, supervision and evaluation of recreation programs and part time program staff.
- Ensure that the High 5 Principles of Healthy Child Development and physical literacy are included in programs for children.
- Instruct programs when required
- Communicate with staff and participants in regards to program development and feedback.
- Participate in the recruitment process of new staff
- Assist with tracking and monitoring the completion of required training and qualifications such as First Aid, Certifications, Health and safety, HR training
- Assist with the development, approval and implementation of appropriate staff schedules for program staff, as well as input and verify payroll
- Provide direction, guidance, supervision and performance evaluations to program staff
- Assist with the creation of program descriptions, schedules and materials for the promotion and marketing including the community recreation guide and brochures
- Promote programs and activities by attending events and other public functions
- Assist with the collaboration with the Marketing section for the development and distribution of marketing materials including print, social media and e-blasts
- Create a positive experience for patrons by providing exceptional customer service
- Responding to customer inquiries and program issues for recreation and culture programs
- Provide input to assist with the tracking and forecasting budget needs
Duties and Responsibilities Cont'd (if applicable)
Education and Experience
- Diploma in Recreation Leadership, Therapeutic Recreation, or related discipline
- Minimum 1 year related experience in recreation program delivery
- High Five certification (Principles of Healthy Childhood Development)
- Standard First Aid and CPR-C
- Understanding of recreation trends, and knowledge of recreation program development and delivery
- Ability to independently resolve problems and issues under minimal supervision
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite applications with a strong knowledge of Excel and Word
- Well organized, independent and highly-motivated, with the ability to handle multiple job responsibilities, set priorities, problem solve and work with all levels of staff
- Proven interpersonal skills to foster and maintain cooperative working relationships with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, demonstrating high proficiency in conflict resolution and negotiation skills
- Must possess a valid Ontario Class "G" Driver's License, and have access to a vehicle for use on corporate business (mileage compensated) and will be required to provide proof of vehicle insurance upon hire
- Manages organizational change through strong leadership and communication skills
- Demonstrates and encourages perseverance and resilience in difficult times
- Demonstrates strong written and verbal communication skills
- Encourages innovative thinking and new ideas
- Proven ability to oversee and track budgets
- Demonstrates and encourages excellent listening skills and different points of view
- Ensures that objectives and accountabilities are clearly communicated within the department
- Empowers staff to support a culture of learning, mentoring, and sharing
- Demonstrates personal leadership
- Builds people and culture
- Cultivates open communication
- Shapes the future
- Navigates and leads through complexity and change
Attention Internal Candidates: All current City of Richmond Hill employees are required to apply via the ‘View Jobs for Current Employees’ link on the City’s Careers Page.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
The City of Richmond Hill is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if you require an accommodation.
Please note, to be considered for a career opportunity at the City of Richmond Hill you must have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada (or the World Health Organization). You may also be required to receive any COVID-19 boosters recommended by public health authorities. The City of Richmond Hill will consider cases requiring accommodation as stipulated by relevant employment standards legislation or regulation and/or the Ontario Human Rights Code.