|Provincial Aviation Specialist|
Provincial Aviation Specialist
Company : Government of Alberta
Salary : $5,638–$7,282 a month
Location : Alberta
Job Requisition ID: 34627
Ministry: Forestry, Parks and Tourism
Full or Part-Time: Full Time
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Scope: Open Competition
Closing Date: November 29, 2022
Classification: Natural Resources 8
The Wildfire Management Branch inspires public confidence in wildfire and forest management, sustaining operations and preventative practices, and leading collaboration that enables safe and resilient communities. For more information about the Wildfire Management Branch:
Are you experienced in wildfire management practices or processes? Are you interested in applying your aviation industry knowledge? If so, this opportunity with the Wildfire Management Branch with the Ministry of Forestry, Parks and Tourism may be the opportunity for you!
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Wildfire Response, the Provincial Aviation Specialist provides advice and expertise on aircraft management on a provincial level to department staff. The Specialist ensures knowledge transfer and develops and creates standard operating procedures. The Specialist is instrumental in coordinating the Provincial Aviation Management Program, including the procurement and deployment of aircraft. This role also provides leadership to the Provincial Helicopter Specialist and the Provincial Logistics Coordinator while ensuring the Alberta Wildfire Coordination Centre (AWCC)'s preparation for full-season operations, including recruiting seasonal staff.
Furthermore, the Provincial Aviation Specialist's functions include coordinating provincial pre-suppression and suppression activities requiring aviation and handling emergent situations, including possible resource requests from other jurisdictions. This role also participates in Incident Management teams to contain and suppress wildfires.
The minimum requirements for this role are a university degree in Forestry, Wildfire Management, or a related field, supplemented by four (4) years of related experience.
Directly related experience or education is considered on a one-for-one basis, such as:
A two-year diploma supplemented by six (6) years of related experience
Additional requirements include:
- A valid Class 5 Driver's License
- Eligibility for membership with the Association of Alberta Forest Management Professionals
- Standard First Aid
- Defensive Driving Certificate
- Supervisory or leadership experience
Competencies are behaviors that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process.
This link will assist you with understanding competencies:
About Your Competencies:
- Creative Problem Solving: Develops solutions to complex problems conscious of the development, conservation, and use of resources;
- Drive for Results: Strives to exceed objectives and maximize resources to achieve results aligned with the goals of the department, considerate to both internal and external stakeholders;
- Develop Networks: Maintains close relations with all stakeholders, actively incorporates the needs of the broader group, and ensures overall client satisfaction;
- Build Collaborative Environments: Takes a collaborative approach with your work to foster open communication and leverage team skills;
- Agility: identifies alternative approaches in uncertain, complex situations, supporting others in determining and assessing strategy;
- Systems Thinking: Considers the changing environment, recognizing the work impacting a vast network of stakeholders; and
- Develop Self and Others: Aims to learn from experiences, shift, and keep current with our skills and knowledge to remain competitive.
$2,818.88 to $3,640.79 biweekly ($73,572 - $95,024 per year).
This position is a permanent, full-time role with the standard weekly work hours of 36.25, Monday to Friday. The incumbent may be requested to work overtime, evenings and weekends due to the emergency nature of wildfires and the complexity of investigations.
This position requires some travel throughout the province.
Your cover letter and resume will be used as a screening tool to assess attention to detail and written communication skills.
All experience must include clear months and years in time spans, detailing duties and achievements for each role listed.
What We Offer:
- Working for the Alberta Public Service –
- Pension plan:
- Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP) –
- Leadership and mentorship programs
- Professional learning and development
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
- Opportunity to participate in flexible work arrangements such as working from home up to two days per week
- Research Alberta Public Service Careers tool –
How To Apply
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system,
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
Resources for applicants:
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the role profile, and/or require a disability related accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact Karen Jackman at [email protected]
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check