|Development Officer/Building Inspector|
Development Officer/Building Inspector
Company : Rural Municipality of Lac du Bonnet
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Manitoba
The Rural Municipality of Lac du Bonnet is seeking a qualified applicant for the
permanent full-time position of:
Development Officer/Building Inspector
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, this position is responsible for carrying out site inspections of buildings and structures for compliance with the Manitoba Building Code, Plumbing and Energy Code and local Zoning, Building and Lot Grade By-Laws and applicable laws.
The Building Inspector will meet the challenges of the future and be seen as an innovative representative who takes pride and ownership in all that they do, along with a strong sense of business and community to meet the needs of the municipality’s residents. This job profile reflects the general details necessary to perform the principal functions and shall not be construed as an interpretation of all work requirements.
- Schedule and carry out site inspections of new buildings, additions to, alterations of, and demolition of existing buildings for compliance with Manitoba Building Code and applicable laws.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret blueprints and technical drawings.
- Ability to interpret and provide advice on complex legislation including the Manitoba Planning Act, Municipal Zoning By-Law and Development plans.
- Review development proposals to determine compliance with the planning, zoning by-laws and policies of the municipality.
- Liaise in a positive and professional manner with property owners, contractors, engineers, architects, office of the fire commissionaire and other departments on related matters.
- Maintain accurate records of plans, plan reviews, inspections, letters and reports prepared or used in connection with building permits, conditional use applications, variance applications and subdivisions.
- Produce legible, concise, complete and accurate reports, maintain a record of field inspections and maintain accurate files under mandatory retention schedules including policy and procedural manuals.
- Proficiency with computers and software programs including mapping software.
- Respond to telephone and counter inquiries regarding building permits and issues from property owners, developers, contractors and designers.
- Perform calculations to determine the value of permit fees, development charges, etc.
- Enter permit applications and inspection records into computer system.
- Initiate enforcement under applicable laws and action for non-compliance under the applicable laws and by-laws.
- Monitor a recreational trailer program.
- Attend training courses, seminars and read technical literature as necessary to remain current in this field.
- Perform other duties as assigned, may require some physical work.
- Minimum 5 years construction experience with strong knowledge of building construction methods, materials, and codes.
- Strong interpersonal, customer service and communication skills.
- Ability to plan, prioritize and work independently.
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Manitoba Class 5 Driver’s License and to provide a clean drivers abstract.
- Must have daily access to a fully insured and licensed vehicle for on-the-job use.
- Trade Certificate Red Seal in carpentry or plumbing, a building technology diploma or equivalent experience and training.
- Preferred College diploma in Civil Engineering or Architectural Technology
- Preferred Qualification and/or the complete of Part 3 and 9 of Building Inspector Certification.
- Knowledge of Muniware, Munisight and Munisight Planner is considered an asset.
The RM of Lac du Bonnet offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
Qualified applications should submit a cover letter and resume including references no later than December 2, 2022 to:
Chief Administrative Officer
RM of Lac du Bonnet, Box 100, Lac du Bonnet, MB R0E 1A0
The RM of Lac du Bonnet would like to thank all applicants who apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
Flexible Language Requirement:
- French not required
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: On the road